Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

OK Pknorr, what's wrong with it?? :)

Well, I have a few thoughts actually...no brand (could have been regraduated though) not good enough pictures of the scroll and a possible crack in the rib on the bottom but still!

What do y'all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

PS

Congrats PKnorr, I saw you finally got a Knorr! I thought you'd be winning this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Hard to tell whether that's a Roth. Something doesn't look quite right from the photo of the front, although the figure in the back looks Roth-like (nice). The scroll doesn't look very good, and the saddle in the photo of the tail end looks like a pretty crude replacement. Bad photos of a good violin by someone who seems to know what it is never add up to me.

Lower bout of 213 mm and upper bout of 164? Seems like an odd shape.

So I have doubts, FWIW, and the current bid indicates that maybe others do too. But there are still 4 days to go...

Jesse,

It was New Years Eve, maybe PK had an event to attend and decided to bid early that day. Although PK did give in and bid last minute. An Ebay junkie for sure.

PK uses a snipe service to place his bids. On the auctions he wins, the bid goes in with 5 seconds left. He is very good, and well disciplined. That's why the early bird bids are so surprising.

Jesse

Last minute bids are probably smart for PK... He knows his 19th/20th century Markneukirchen fiddles. I believe he has a pretty comprehensive collection of them. I'm sure those who know his handle watch him.

They key, however, is that he bids higher than anyone else. A bid with 5 seconds left that's lower than another bidders max bid still doesn't win. I wonder sometimes what his max bids are.

Most bidders only up the bid a few dollars. PKnorr knows that he only has to bid more than the next highest bidder's maximum. He could be bidding $1M, and he knows he'll get the violin and not have to pay ~that~ much. He does it at the end so that no one can ratchet up the bid and try to find out how much he's bid. If that happened he would pay too much.

Example: A friend of mine was set on buying a 1912 Gibson Mandocello that was offered on ebay. The bid near the end was at about $2K. He decided to enter a bid of $2200 in the last 20 seconds. He ended up buying it for $2250.

So how did he do that when his bid was $2200?

He fat fingered the keyboard and actually put in a max bid of $22,000. SO he got it for $25 more than the next lowest bidder, who would have won the item instead of him had he been a better typist.

Good thing PKnorr wasn't after that one, or he might have paid $5,000 for it.

Ebay's method is seriously flawed in favor of the buyers and of ebay. Any bid in the last minute of an auction should automatically add 5 minutes to the time. That would convert it to a real auction. As it is, anyone who bids before the last few seconds is not being smart.