Maestronet Forums

What's a couple of mm's among friends?

Ron1

I just acquired a poster w/photos, drawings, & dimensions, so will be making my first template. Problem is, neither the photos nor the drawings match the given dimensions (all 3 are different). I assume I should use the dimensions given, but how? Do I just "adjust" by eye & by hand? Thanks, Ron.

All info incl on poster; dimensions on chart are "by caliper". Lower bout dimensions, for instance:

Chart says, Belly 202.0, Back 203.5

Photos measure, Belly 206.5, Back 203.5

Diagrams measure, Belly 203.5, Back 203.5

Arching templates measure, Belly 201.8, Back 202.5

Well.... I'll say this with the disclaimer that I've never attempted to build a fiddle based on a Strad poster. Don't know how "true" the diagrams are on those.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd go for the back outline. Tops shrink and wear more than the backs do over time. Might be worth your time to do a mechanical drawing so you can make sure the rib outline works with the plate outline.... and that the purfling corners meet where you want them to.

Right, the photo is just for looking anyway, there's no intention that it be used for measurement IMO.

Confirm that the back outline is right by the measurements, adjust as necessary. Copy machines can sometimes be used for this if you have the patience to find one that distorts just the way you need, i.e. 1 percent or so on one axis only.

The archings are going to have to be idealized anyway since you don't want to build the instrument with all the distortions of time already in place.

And yes the "folded freebie" IS the "Strad Poster" :-)

Yes Andre, I noticed my mistake re. the "Strad Poster"- I guess I was thinking Stradivari violin. All the drawings are "off" in that they show the distortions as you mention. The charted dimensions also reflect these differences. I'm "balancing" the outline, side to side, & also the archings. Am I doing the correct thing?

It's what most people do, absent lots of experience understanding how archings change over time. Sam Zygmuntowicz is quoted here somewhere with some interesting thoughts about how violins change shape over time.

http://forums.maestronet.com/forums/showfl...e//fpart/1/vc/1

With 'averaging' the outline you have to be careful what happens to the corners. Are you doing this with tracing paper or what?

Quote:

With 'averaging' the outline you have to be careful what happens to the corners. Are you doing this with tracing paper or what?

I agree with Andres... That's why I suggested drawing it.

On a more optomistic note, if you're not planning to build in any existing disgreement from side to side, you really only need to tackle adjusting one half of the outline.

Jeffrey & Andre- yes, I'm drawing the outline & archings on tracing paper first. I'm essentially duplicating one half of the outline (based on the back per Jeffrey's suggestion); and also duplicating one half of each arching diagram (using the highest-arched side). I don't see how the corners would be affected or changed doing this. Ron.