Maestronet Forums

Brahms violin sonata

TSENGLO

Brahms sonata 3 is easly in my top 3 sonatas ever.

There are many good recordings, I like Kaler's recording also, very eloquent and expressive

I also like

Chung/Frankl

Szeryng/Rubenstein

Oistrakh/Richter - sadly hard to find

Mullova/Anderszewski

I like Vengerov's recording also paired with the concerto, I hear pam frank's recording is good, havent heard it yet

There used to be a perlman video of all 3 sonatas, someone at violinist.com said a long time ago they have it but Ive never foud it for sale on ebay or anywhere else. There is also a video clip of stern in the art of violin, maybe the complete stern video will come out later?

Quote:

I was attracted by Brahms violin sonatas recently, and start to work on #3. I have one copy of Ricci recorded long time ago.

The one with Julius Katchen on old Decca LP? If it is, it is a pretty good recording.

There are a few recordings I like, such as Heifetz/Kapell, Kulenkampff/Solti, Stern/Zakin, Ferras/Barbizet and Kochanski/Rubinstein. If one wants something very strange, try the Gitlis/Anna Maria Vera or two recordings of Elman.

I recently heard recordings by Alberto Lysy and also Gyorgy Pauk. Both of them are excellent. I did hear Pamela Frank/Peter Serkin as well. I did not find them particularly interesting. I would have love to hear her play the work with her father, the formidable Claude Frank.

There is also a recording by Milstein and Horowitz. A rather tame and disappointing performance, considering what they were capable of doing.

T.

Kaler has done all three on one Naxos CD. It is very good and inexpensive.

Does anyone out there know why Hahn's attempt to record the Brahms sonatas with Garrick Ohlsson never appeared? Did they have differences about which takes to use?

The Brahms violin sonatas are different from the violin concerto. Brahms wrote three sonatas and one concerto. The concerto is quite difficult, and if you are struggling with Mozart 5, you are likely not ready for the Brahms concerto.

...and dont forget the scherzo from the fae sonata, i love the part in the middle where the time and the whole mood seems to completely change somehow, the kogan video "interpretations" is the most convincing performance i have seen or hard so far, you can get it at kultur.com

Quote:

The Brahms violin sonatas are different from the violin concerto. Brahms wrote three sonatas and one concerto. The concerto is quite difficult, and if you are struggling with Mozart 5, you are likely not ready for the Brahms concerto.

Quote:

Collected 3 copies: Ricci, Stern, and Mutter. My ranking:

a. Ricci: best in tone and tempo

b. Stern: sweet as usual, best recording effects though.

Which versions are you referring to??? Ricci recorded the third sonata twice and Stern at least 3 times with different pianists.

Ricci's first version with Katchen is pretty impressive, though I don't think it is hardly a definitive version. Ricci's second is nowhere near as good as the first.

As for Stern, I am only familiar with the two recordings he made with Zakin, first in mono, then stereo. The earlier recording is more impressive, but the stereo is not bad. I saw him play this sonata in public and I was pretty impressed (his first half of the recital was considerably below his best playing, but he really "fired up" for the second half).

T.