Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

Interesting Fiddle I picked up...

No immediate opinion on the age, but that's a pretty violin for sure. The grain in the top appears to be rather wide. One of the sweetest violins I ever played has grain about like that. The appraiser says it has a powerful tone. Is it bright and powerful, rich and powerful, or just what? What do think so far about the sound qualities?

Wait a minute - you haven't played it yet! We'll get that later.

I'd say your age estimate is better than the seller's. I can't place the violin from those pictures, but I have seen several Mittenwald violins bearing that same White label dated around 1860. They didn't have any other labels.

Is that Asa White label a shop or store label? White was a maker, but does the label indicate that he might have simply sold or repaired the violin at some time?

That is a very pretty fiddle, for a good price, apparently. Nice get, Jeny. Good to see any ebay story with a happy ending. The good setup, case and rehaired bow makes that violin a better buy than one that's been out to pasture for some years.

I don't think the rounded frog necessarily indicates a viola bow. But the weight would, if more than 65 grams (?)

WOW! I got the fiddle last week! It is BeeYOUteeful!! First of all it's not by Asa White, sadly but that's OK. It IS as Mittenwald as it gets, and we're thinking 1840-1850. Not ONE crack on it, one piece top, one piece back, one piece rib (complete with little nick on the bottom) and a gorgeous scroll. All original varnish and fittings too. But the best and most confusing part is, neatly overlapping the upper right corner of the Amati label is the Asa White label, which says plain as day "Jan. 1871"!! How could anyone miss tbat?! Even without that, it's obvious the fiddle is over 100 years old, not just 60! Anyway the work that was done, we think at AW White's shop, is that it was regraduated and got a new bassbar. The soundpost didn't fit AND was in upside-down, so Duane is making a new one, cutting a new bridge and setting it back up for me. I only get to his shop on the weekend so I've got to wait till next weekend to play it for the first time! Very excited!

Oh! And the bow! WOW again! It's definitely a violin bow, it's light ish (I thought they said either 52 or 58g) and delicate rather than strong. It's nickle mounted and has the lizard and silver (tinsel?) wrap on it, which was being held on by scotch tape (shudder). The hair was falling out, and sticking out of the frog, um.. so that's being done over along with a new silver wrap. The current theory is that it is French. The stamp, if there was one, is worn clean off, but it looks like a hastily but well made Mirecourt bow. It plays VERY nicely, not as nice as the Hill, but nice

I am VERY pleased!

Hi,

It seems to me the violin is about 100 years old.

I know a few these kind of violins dated back 50 or more years to make it looks like 200 years old. It was a very common fad (joke)in those days , with no intention of deception. I have one Schweitzer just like that. It has a beautiful tone.

However, you got yours at such a good price. (market price may be $1500-$2000,I think) Congratulation.

CONGRATULATIONS! There are so many crooks and incompetents on Ebay, and so many sad, "they ripped me off" stories. I'm happy that you got a winner.

Asa White and his brother were very well known makers, and their violins are both nicely made and desirable. I don't recall the brother's name, or which one is more sought after, but I'd love to have a White Cello.

Anyway, CONGRATS! You got yourself a winner!

PS. If the bow is stiff and bounces well, then the light weight isn't that much of a drawback. if it's 52 Gs without hair it should probably be 55 when fully playable, and that's not bad. Keep us posted on it.

Philip