Maestronet Forums

How much should I pay? - D.H. Pearsall 1884 violin

SandraDC

Dear members,

Does anyone have an idea about the possible cost and quality for a D.H. Pearsall 1884 violin?

I have the opportunity to buy one, but I'm not familiar with the maker. The current owner is asking me to make an offer. I haven't found much information on this particular violin. What would be a reasonable offer? (assuming the violin is in good condition)

Thanks! I need to respond to the buyer by Monday, Nov 8 in the morning. Your feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks! Sandra

Quote:

The current owner is asking me to make an offer. I haven't found much information on this particular violin. What would be a reasonable offer?

Are you considering buying it for the sound rather than the investment? If so, I'd think the price of a comparable-sounding factory instrument would be fair, unless the seller has evidence that the maker's work goes for more than that.

There are no entries in Fairfield or Henley for "Pearsall". None in Ed Baxter's database either, which includes entries from Wenberg's "American Violin Makers". SO it would seem that Pearsall is an unknown, and probably an amatuer. So it's worth what you or someone else is willing to pay for it I guess.