Maestronet Forums

What do you think of my display case?

WesRist

So you'd think with a title like that, that there would be a picture or something of my display case, wouldn't you? Well I can't figure out how to post one, so if there are any volunteers I'll e-mail you some pics you can post for me.

I made a really cool display case for my violin that also acts as a humidity chamber. It's really neat and I wanted to get some opinions about it here.

So, let me know if there's help on the way.

Thanks!

Wes

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I appreciate it!

I made this case, or should I say "had it made" for me over 2 years ago so I have been enjoying it for a while now. In making it I had several priorities:

1-To have a place to keep my violin in 45-65% humidity.

2-To have a big enough reservoir so it holds it for weeks or months.

3-Have a dust free place to store my violin without taking the shoulder rest off each time I finish playing.

4-A place to display not just the top, but the sides and bottom of my violin.

I just think it's a shame to take our expensive instruments and close them up in our cases and shove them under our beds!

The reason I posted this thread is I'm confused. I then had 2 more cases made. I have been letting various dealers know about them but don't seem to be getting much response. I have started to wonder if there's something wrong with my concept. Maybe there's something wrong with my pricing. But I'm already offering them at cost but it doesn't seem to matter. I wish they only costed $300 to make, but the reality is it's a fair bit more.

I don't know, is it me? Everyone who sees it at my place just dies. So, what's up?

Best!

Wes

I've been thinking about something similar (all on my own too! )

But you want to know why someone wouldn't buy it?

I can only speak for myself, so here it is for what it's worth:

1. Price is an issue...I wouldn't be able to justify the expense...

2. Another problem is space requirements...your design has resulted in what amounts to a piece of furniture...and I wouldn't have room for it as it is...

3. A third thing is style...we're more into antiques, or least the antiquey look...and the one I had designed in my mind looks like one of those smaller 1800-1900 museum display cases (the kind you might find a stuffed bird in)...with nice wooden corner strips...and a wooden base...'my' design is upright - with a front-opening door - with nice ornate brass hardware...maybe with one of those little keys...the upright design can more easily sit on a table or fit in a corner...

I hadn't thought of the mirror... that's a great idea...to show off the back...

...personally, I don't use a shoulder rest...so having the convenience of not removing it isn't an issue for me...and therefore wouldn't be a selling feature...

...my desire for a display case is because I was thinking of keeping my ornate inlaid violin, although I doubt I'll be playing it much again, it would still be great to show it off (beautiful craftmanship) in a humidity controlled environment...and still easily be able to access it, should I ever want to play it...

...so I have slightly different reasons for wanting one than yours...but with the same or a similar end result...

Hope this was of help!

Noxx, thanks for the comments. Allow me to address some of them if I may.

1-Price:I understand, though in a world of $5000-15000 instruments it isn't proportionately large.

2-Space:I could see that not everyone has space for this where they use their instrument.

3-Style:I know what you mean, and suppose an ornate version would be attractive to many, but here's my thinking. If you go ornate and brown you will not match the color of any violin, as the browns are always different. I thought that since the nice slabs of black one finds on pianos are also in classical circles that it would be a neutral color against which the violin could then 'pop out'. So that's where this style and color came from.

Thanks again for your comments! Anybody else?

Best!

Wes

OoOoo, Thats very nice, however, I was thinking that you could reduce prices by making it wall mounted (I know this was already suggested) and making it tall and skinny, so that the violin is hung from a hook (much like they are in many music stores).

Whats the build price on this (In CND, since I'm Canadian too)? If you dont feel like publicly discosing the price, PM me with it?

Quote:

Noxx, thanks for the comments. Allow me to address some of them if I may.

1-Price:I understand, though in a world of $5000-15000 instruments it isn't proportionately large.

2-Space:I could see that not everyone has space for this where they use their instrument.

3-Style:I know what you mean, and suppose an ornate version would be attractive to many, but here's my thinking. If you go ornate and brown you will not match the color of any violin, as the browns are always different. I thought that since the nice slabs of black one finds on pianos are also in classical circles that it would be a neutral color against which the violin could then 'pop out'. So that's where this style and color came from.

Thanks again for your comments! Anybody else?

Well, since you ask

First off, I think your design is very lovely in its own right! And the mirror, humidifier, and swing-up top are inspired.

But still I have to agree with Noxx. The price seems high because the case isn't really functional on the same level the violin is. It's like buying a very wonderful $1000 carrying case: it's a luxury when $200 will buy a more-than-capable Bobelock.

And I, too, would rather have one that I could hang on the wall like a picture, because I have a little wall space free but absolutely no floor space. And I too would choose a very traditional looking one, especially if I owned an old violin. If I had the money, I'd choose a case made of golden oak or walnut, with moldings and serious brass fittings, and even beveled glass in the front and a ruby-red velvet lining around the inset mirror.

Keep the comments coming guys, I appreciate it. Even if you feel you're saying what's been said already, it's important for me to get a feel as to how many feel the same way.

Bean: I can picture very well what you're describing, and had considered it. I concluded that had I gone in that direction the complaint would have been "Well how am I supposed to fasten that to my wall, with big, mighty bolts? Well I'm not doing that to MY wall!"

I like what you described but it would be fairly heavy. The wood, the glass, it's all heavy. Don't get me wrong, I think it can be done and would look awesome, but that's my first thought. (That, and how could I make it for under $200.00?)

Secondly, it's the bow. The case you're describing would likely be only built for the violin. Since bows are so much longer than violins growing the case to accomodate it makes it pretty tall. I'm also not sure taking the bow in and out would be easy or comfortable. And hanging the bow on the outside to me would look sloppy.

I gave a lot of thought recently to where people might have room, and developing a table top unit for the violin only came to mind. I have drawn one up, but haven't made any. This type of unit would fit on a shelf, or whatever. But needless to say it wouldn't have the presence of the units I have completed.

Again, keep 'em coming!

Quote:

I concluded that had I gone in that direction the complaint would have been "Well how am I supposed to fasten that to my wall, with big, mighty bolts? Well I'm not doing that to MY wall!"

I like what you described but it would be fairly heavy. The wood, the glass, it's all heavy.

I agree, it would be heavy. I was thinking of those bolt things that you drill a 1/4 inch hole for and then, when you tighten them up, they sort of collapse and grip the wall from the inside. What are they called? I can never remember, but I know that they come in 50lb capacity at least. I can't imagine it weighing more than that, can you? And even if someone was feeling paranoid, two of them would certainly do the job!

Quote:

how could I make it for under $200.00?

I don't know. Perhaps by using veneer plywood and standard dimensions as much as possible?

Quote:

Secondly, it's the bow. The case you're describing would likely be only built for the violin. Since bows are so much longer than violins growing the case to accomodate it makes it pretty tall. I'm also not sure taking the bow in and out would be easy or comfortable. And hanging the bow on the outside to me would look sloppy.

Why couldn't the bow go on the diagonal? If you allow air around the fiddle, it looks as though there'd be plenty room (or at least when I hold up my bow and fiddle like that, it does )

It's a great looking display case. I must agree that a wall-mounted would be much easier to market. I'm making one out of an old 2-door kitchen wall cabinet ala jackc(mainly for humidity & dust control- it's in my shop). I removed the center door panels & am installing glass & fluorescent lights at the top front. It should hold up to 6 or 8 violins. I know this is entirely different in purpose than you intend with yours... How about a glass-topped coffee table that doubles as a display case? It could be the nice piece of furniture while not taking up any extra room. Ron.