Maestronet Forums

help--wedding music for solo violin??

prettypolly

I'm playing a wedding reception with my bluegrass band--but the bride has now requested (at a rather late date) that I play some classical music during the ceremony, for her bridesmaids & her own entrance. I need 2 distinct pieces for these 2 entering parties. Her suggestion of the Pachelbel Canon doesn't exactly work for solo violin! And she vaguely mentions "some Chopin" for the bridesmaids. So...any ideas on what would be appropriate & sound ok alone? Any help MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

--Diana

Depending on who's getting married, how well you know them, and whether or not bets have been placed on how long the marriage will last, any one of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas, as well as the Telemann Fantasies. However, out of courtesy for the occasion, I'd stick to whatever's in the major key.

When my grandparent's renewed their vows, I played the Siciliana and Bouree from the 3rd Partita and for another wedding I played the Prelude and Gigue from the 1st Cello Suite (although considering how I felt towards her husband, I should have played the Chaccone).

Hey ! Did you see that article in Strings magazine about the so-called Bach Toccata and Fugue in d minor having possibly been originally written in a minor for solo violin at a much later time? Great piece for a Halloween wedding of horror buffs. Not, however, suitable for the present question.

Any one of the many available violin wedding albums would have several nice tunes to suit. You could drop in harmony by ear, or after eyeballing the piano part that usually comes with such collections.

Bach.

I've often thought that the Preludio from the E-Major Partita (#3) would make a lovely processional. Has the air of a carnival barker clearing his throat and detailing the delights that will follow--- in a very festive vein. In fact, were money no object and were I thinking of getting married again, I would want to have the arrangement of this movement for orchestra and organ played. I think it's the Sinfonia from Cantata #29, and maybe one other cantata. Maybe if my daughter is interested...

I did play the 3rd movement from the C-Major Sonata at my sister's wedding, during a break in the action before the vows.

And for the recessional, one could do either of the last two movements of the E-Major Partita.

Don't know from having tried what would work without piano, but Sarasate arranged a few Chopin Nocturnes that might do for the bridesmaids. Or, depending on how you feel about them, Paganini's "Witches Dance."

In Sheila Nelson's The Baroque Violinist (Boosey & Hawkes) there is a Giga by Mascitti that should work fine for solo violin. Also, there is an arrangement for the violin of a movement from one of Bach's cello suites, and a great movement from a Telemann sonata. None of these are as tricky as a Bach solo violin movement.

Actually, almost any not-slow Baroque piece in a major key where the violin carries the tune all the way should work fine.

You live in a big city, so there are probably several music stores within twenty miles of you that stock gig music for violin. Honestly, it's easy, and sure to hit the spot. Today I recommended a "beginner" album for one of my Suzuki Book 6 kids. He's practical enough to take my advice, adding to his enjoyment of a cousin's wedding, at which he is also an usher.