Sign in to follow this  
senqi

How do you think about this?

Mysterious blurry pictures of what seems to be a nice-looking fiddle, newly and expensively strung. The bows don't sparkle much, but the old Jaeger case is classy. The artifacts in Still Life #4 are intriguing. The Ziploc is full of screwlike ironyparts. The Menuhin pad looks serious, and the green twoleggything is astounding. Maybe someone will ID all these goodies for us.

The twoleggy thing is an old string guage, used to determine whether old gut unwound strings are g, d, a, or e. These were often made of brass or some chrome plated metal.

Larry Frye

Please do not take me wrong, but just what do you see that would justify a $4000.00 USD bid on a fiddle that you can't see from the pictures presented, can't test drive, from a seller with bad feedback, in a location of both United Kingdom and Germany, and the fact that all the bids from the United kingdom? If you looking for a good violin, there are many quality modern makers in this price range. I think I would pass on this one.

I suggest if you want a genuine Italian fiddle, you should spend that dough on a brand spanking new one by one of the new Cremonese makers from the exhibit this year. You'll be supporting the trade AND you'll have an instrument which will only go up in value over the years. Oh yes and I hear they sound fabulous to boot

Just my $0.02!

Thank you reepicheep. Your advice makes sense. Actually I have been trying to decide between a new modern Italian and an old one. Of course the only way I can afford to an old one is to buy from eBay, which comes with great risk. New modern Italian is not cheap either ($10k+), but it definitely has advantage of guaranteed authenticity.

Hey, there's still 4 hours to go and this violin has hit the £4000 mark. Now, I certainly don't think I'd be paying that much without a play of it first! Unless of course I was loaded! Current high bidder has a zero rating - think if I was the seller that I'd be a little concerned!

Rob.

The auction fetched more than $9000! It was a big surprise to the seller himself. According to the seller, one musician from Netherland made a trip to see and play the violin hours before the auction ended. He liked it a lot and was willing to pay a high price. He said it's an Italian. If he is lucky enough, he may be able to authenticate it later (a Bisiach may worth up to $60K). I think he has a good chance.

I wish I had a chance to travel to Germany to see the violin. But anyway, I cannot afford to spend $9000 for a German copy. Thanks to everyone here who helped me to resist the temptation. I have already decided to order a new violin from Italy.

Quote:

The auction fetched more than $9000! It was a big surprise to the seller himself. According to the seller, one musician from Netherland made a trip to see and play the violin hours before the auction ended. He liked it a lot and was willing to pay a high price. He said it's an Italian. If he is lucky enough, he may be able to authenticate it later (a Bisiach may worth up to $60K). I think he has a good chance.

I wish I had a chance to travel to Germany to see the violin. But anyway, I cannot afford to spend $9000 for a German copy. Thanks to everyone here who helped me to resist the temptation. I have already decided to order a new violin from Italy.

No offense, but this is a story from the "seller"...It's like asking the "boogy" man to tell you a ghost story...Would the man from "nertherland" happens to be the seller's cousin? Or this man actually from "never, never land"???

It's great, the best one yet!! "i can't guarranty its authenticity, but here's a guy who's paying "big money", and he's going to get a certificate for it..." Wow!! good one!!!

Cheers,

This same violin has been relisted. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

It seems strange that the winning bidder from the first listing, who allegedly paid £5100 for it, is not now the seller!! What is going on?

The original seller had the item in Germany and now it appears for sale from London! Someone had either taken a large financial loss or there's something very fishy going on!

Rob.

Rob, Thanks for the notice. But I did not buy the violin. A buyer in UK bought it. But it's unlikely that the buyer is selling it becuase he/she may not have received it yet. Most likely that this listing is a fraud. It's become very common these days on eBay that crooks copy listings that ended with high bid, and post them as their auction (This happened to me once recently). Fortunately this listing has been already taken off so that no bidder will be victimized. I suppose someone reported it to eBay early enough. Sen