Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

The Fearless eBay Buyer

I may be confusing terms. The preferred payment method on German auctions is always "Uberweisung." That means bank transfer, which I think is different from the Western Union wire transfer that you and Bob are describing.

Wire transfers are entirely traceable. You know exactly which bank the payment is going to and who opened the account, provided that it's an individual's account. I far rather receive wire transfers than any other payment type, as it costs me nothing. I know a lot of countries have a fee to receive international wire transfers, but the costs here are insignificant. It's either that, or the $50+ PayPal fee I get hit with, depending on the auction result - or the percentage the bank takes to cash an international money order. Wire transfer is by far the most attractive payment solution. It's also the fastest solution. With online banking these days, it can be incredibly convenient too.

Hi Rich, i have receieved Bidpay `cheques ` these are fine, its just the telephone service which is notorious , and a huge risk to the buyer.Fine for sellers though,if you don`t get your money you don`t send.

Don`t get me wrong about paypal, its extremely useful for purchasing on ebay, but not so attractive for non U.S sellers.

Brits prefer personal cheques or Bank transfers ie done by computer from your account to someone elses or visa versa.

Most Europeans(especially Germany) can do this online by using Swifts or IBAN numbers,but in England most banks only allow internal `do it your self` transfers.If you need to do a international transfer then its a trip to the bank to fill in a form.

Western union wire transfer(by phone) incidently seems to be very popular with Italians for both sending and receiving.

I got one just yesterday or the day before, but I think it's legit... It was that Roth reconstruction project I posted awhile back, apparently I was the 2nd highest bidder. I've heard of sellers offering to the 2nd highest bidder if the first one flakes out. I guess in this case the person had second thoughts about taking that on... so did I because I declined the offer

Hi,

as a seller, if a higher value item, I only accept wire transfer. This because checks are my own responsability iow,

if there is no coverage for the amount on the check I am responsible for the amount towards the bank.

The last check recived was for 12.000USD.

After a closer look I discovered it was a fake...

Wire transfer takes 2 days from the US directly to my account wich I can view on the net.Also traceable for the seller.Just thought I´d share the oppinion and experience from me here in Sweden.

Does anyone else think that violin

PKNORR's sniped Carlo Micelli

looks like the work of Karl Herrmann, normally labeled 'Andreas Morelli'? Most of them are branded. Since 'Carlo Micelli' is an Italianization of the German trade name 'Karl Meisel', it may be that this is a high end Meisel product. None of those guys ever existed anyway, but Herrmann did.

I have a violin with the same varnish, same tailpiece, same pegs, same crown on the button, same scroll graft, etc. It's labeled 'Angelo Serafino', but has the Morelli brand underneath the label. It's really a nice looking fiddle, a great job of antiquing.

Anyone want to buy it for $1300? Mine has a good setup and Pirazzis.

Thanks for letting me know you did get the violin, pknorr. Now I know I did the right thing not sending payment to the Scammer who offered the fiddle to me as next highest bidder.

Actually, I buy junk for learning purposes. I am trying to learn how to repair so I just buy beat up el cheapo violins and repair, revarnish etc. I am not, by the way, one of those people who strip an 18c master down! I would like to know how he/she knows which one to bid on tho'. I got a right stormer the other day. Seller said it was OK but in reality looked like someone had been playing darts with it.

Skreechee.

"I keep buying junk!"

You are already following the tried and true method. Keep buying junk until you learn to distinguish it at a glance. It's a costly way to learn, but by the time you have a really nice violin, you won't need a piece of paper to tell you so. Also, to keep your costs down, be sure to put your mistakes back on ebay. That way we can all keep learning. Selling is good for your education because it gives you the opportunity to learn from false positives (aka junk) as well as false negatives (aka gems).

pknorr..

You should instruct these people on the Forum of how you win all these auctions. What Sniper service do you use? I find that the only way to buy on e-Bay is by sniping. Pick a maximum price and the service places the bid for you!

Additionally, why have you been buying old, turn of the century German violins? Are you hoping to turn a good profit for retirement?

Just wondering...

I would be a carefull and protect your eBay password. Notice that the page where you submit your username and password is non SSL. Your information is sent non-encrypted ( as clear text ). Make sure you use the link to redirect you to the secure page. "Click here to use our secure sign-up form." before submitting your personal details.

Hi Richf,

Thanks for the advice. One day an original Tony S will be mine!!Yes, it is costly but I will try and sell them on somehow as they are getting fixed up and play and look a lot better than they did even if I do say so myself! Some are revarnished tho' so might struggle with those. Nice oil varnish with natural pigments - they would do for kids in school. Do you like my selling patter?

I just looked at the snipe programme. It asks for your details including your ebay password. Is that dangerous?

Skreechee

Sorry just seen your post. Can't be too careful. This sniping though is terrible now. Some jerk bid up to a ridiculous ammount the other day on a really obviously bad violin shaped object. It makes you wonder what is going through their minds (if anything)