Maestronet Forums

Is Bad Neck Worst Than Bad Back?

Fellow

Hi All,

I understnad that there are many luthiers in this forum. It is good to ask this question here, to settle a dispute in my mind what is more omportant ? Neck or Back.

I always think that a violin back is important to the tone production only second to the top plate in terms of structural pieces. (so bridge does not count). After reading a book I became confused. I appreciate any your responses.

Thank you, Mr.Darton,

Yes, Oakes's book of 1899, but he was quite a likable luthier as I have read. Nothing is so outrageous as such maple top was said. My guess was that he was frustrated by the fact that people believed there was only one master in this world so he wrote a book.

Yes, Mr.Darnton,

I would not believe everything he said in his book, especially his opinions ,ton of it, about violin makings, but he knew violin inside out,in one photo two hundred of his violins. His opinion were also with explanations.That is why I call him likable. For example,he mentoned the ratio relation of the size of f-hole to the volume of air.

There is an optimal ratio. It makes more sense than the orientation of the f-hole. If you fill a bottle of water half way

and blow air to the top, it makes sound. Different levels of water will result differnt sound. It should work the same way with violin? Right? The ratio. He wasn't that

opinionated.

I don't have experience experimenting with f-hole sizes in a scientifically meaningful way, but I've seen discussion from physical scientists saying that to make any significant modification to the resonance characteristics of the body would require enormous differences in f-hole sizes beyond anything a maker would do.

As I was saying in a different thread here, a lot of violin makers, and non-violin makers, have said a lot of stuff over time that has been accepted, in spite of zero actual evidence, because "it sounds good", and lots, or even possibly most, of this stuff turns out to be more fantasy than fact, because an idea "sounding good" doesn't really mean much when it comes down to it.

• 9 months later...

I have sat in with a young man who plays a violin made of black walnut. belly,back, ribs, and neck.The player is a high school boy of 16 and he is considered one of the two best players in this area.Setting aside my opinion completely,the general consensus is that the violin sounds great.Isn't great sound what we are after? Michael,unless I misread your opinions it sounds like you are working both sides of the fence. One one side of the fence you want to stick to original plans as close as possible, EXCEPT as modified over the past three hundred years.The other side of the fence is that if someone offered an opinion or better yet,made a violin what didn't quite fit the mold and wrote a book about it you tend to disbelieve since you haven't investigated it. Skepticism is good but you may be shooting yourself in the foot .

Over the years I have worked with physical scientists who had a Phd in nuclear physics but only the equivalent of a BA. in basket weaving and they sometimes use their dissimilar and unrelated degrees to flim flam their way through a quest or question the are unqualified to comment on.If the run of the mill physical scientists knew it all,they would be KING and not just employees of the KING. Just another opinion !With full respect to a degree in basket weaving.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have sat in with a young man who plays a violin made of black walnut. belly,back, ribs, and neck.The player is a high school boy of 16 and he is considered one of the two best players in this area.Setting aside my opinion completely,the general consensus is that the violin sounds great.Isn't great sound what we a

re after?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi,

Personally, I do not believe a violin made of walnut will sound good. First, if it is the kind of walnut I know, like furniture of walnut, then it will become too heavy or too hard. It is difficult to make sound to beginwith. Leave alone it makes "good" sound (easy vibrations). If someone likes it then it is not an arguable thing, only a personal feeling toward something. /yuen/