Maestronet Forums

Constantly needs tuning?

AJ

I have picked up a Chinese-made violin to try out for the week, it's brand new, nice tone etc, but I'm finding I have to tune it constantly and I'm wondering if it's just that it's new or is it the type of strings or what? I've tuned it three times today alone, and it's not just that the pegs are slipping and it's going flat, but sometimes a couple of strings go quite sharp, or one goes flat, another goes sharp. Is this common with new instruments? The old beater I've been playing stayed in tune quite well, rarely even needing minor adjustments.

Hi AJ,

**I thought it was unusual for a couple of the strings to go almost a full tone sharp in just a couple of hours.**

Check the groves in the nut on your violin. It may be that the strings are catching on the edge of the nut, or actually sticking in the groves.

Cheers Wolfjk

Hi AJ,

I've found that Tonica and other string made by the same company such as Evah Pirrazi and Oblogato do need to be tuned contstantly when they are first strung up. I have also found that domenant strings stay tuned better, even as new. However, you've stated that you'd have to tune this violin three time a day...to me is not too accessive at all. When i play my violin, i tune it almost every 1/2 or an hour

Cheers

Quote:

With strings going sharp it could be the neck is pulling to one side.

Very interesting point...normally strings should alway stretch and become flat. But, if they are going sharp, boy there's a bigger problem...

Since we are on the tuning subject...can i ask everyone a short of a silly question? I can guess why most musician use the A for reference when they tune their instrument...But for my violin, when i don't have a reference a available, i alway tune all the strings to the E. Simply because, i know, the E string stay tuned the best...So, without an A reference readily available, i alway tune all lower strings to the E. Does it make sense to anyone?

Are there such fake strings? how can you tell if they are fake? What brand are being counterfeited?

Now you're going to have to tell us all...can't just throw a monkey wrench and disapeared... We won't hold you accountable for such information. unless you made up such goship...i think it should be ok.

Cheers,

My first thought was that it was simply the strings because when I put new ones on my 12-string guitar I put a lighter gage strings on, and it takes a while for them to stretch and settle in. I have looked at the nut and it doesn't look like there is anything the strings can catch on. Since I had only played the violin three times that day, I don't know if I would have had to tune it even more often. I took it down to a pub session last night and a couple people tried and liked the sound, but had to tune it. There has been quite a change in the weather here which also might be affecting it, but again, my old violin, and even my two guitars have not been much affected by the change. The other thing I'm thinking is that the chin rest that is on it is not right for me and I'm thinking I might be pressing on the tailrest sometimes, causing the strings to stretch. I have it for the rest of the week, so all I can do is play it as often as I can and see what happens.

Quote:

Could it be the bridge tilt toward the scroll? Once I forget to put lubicant on the bridge and the bridge tilts when I wind up the peg.

In my opinion, the bridge leaning foward caused by the strings stretching, but the fact that the bridge leaning foward does not cause the strings to stretch. It is an effect, but not the cause.

So, i do think that the most culprit of the pitch out of tune is still the strings themself. Some type of strings are capable of holding the pitch better than others.

Some of us may be old enough to remember of guts strings prior to invention of the synthetic strings. Before the mid 70's when Dominan string came, we use to have to constantly tune the guts string. That is why Dominan is still the number one seller for violin string in the world because of it unique "brilliant" sound, "quick" response. and the ability of holding its pitch for a long time. Despite of the change in weather...

Cheers,

AJ,

I don't know what kind of music do you play. But, if you don't mind steal strings, they can hold the pitch very well. Most fiddleling or country/pop musicians use steal strings because they can play lound, producing sharp and focus tone, and they can hold the pitch a very long time

Cheers,

I have run across fake dominants. I think some string makers have figured out if they make the thread windings look fancy like on good strings they can pass them off. I don't know if they are very common to run across though.

One way to check would be to just change your strings---then you'll know if it's the string problem or not.

Yes, I've run across these a couple of times.

There are fake Dominants coming out (I believe) of China. I've run into them a couple of times on some of the 'better' made inexpensive Chinese (student level) instruments. They have the exact same color wrappings, but, they don't really feel like Dominants or flex like them, and the metal is colored slightly different.

They are very close copies, but anyone who has worked with Dominants for a while will probably notice something wrong with them - I didn't even notice them until I played the violin and realized that there was something wrong with the feel (and response) of the strings when played... Taking a close look, I realized that the strings were counterfit Dominants and that they would probably never play well... I did replace them with a good set and the improvement was obvious.

AJ

You are in luck. There are so many choices for steal strings. Helicore and Prelude (this one is pretty cheap, about $14 for a whole set) are the two that come to my mind. Also, Zyex and Pro-arte.

There's a very good local violin shop in my area (San Francisco bay area), Ifshin, which also sell violins and accessory on -line www.ifshinviolins.com. check out this site. You can order any strings to be delivered to you in a couple days, tax free and fairly cheap. They also have a page where you can get all the infomation that you need to make your choice.

Also, there are other on-line websites such as "southwest strings"...check them out.

Good luck,

PS: I envy you for being able to play Pop/Folks musics. I am kinda stuck with classical music...although, it is a very good form of music, it requires too much works and efforts...to the point that it's sometime no longer fun...

Cheers

This sounds like an interesting Tower of Babel joke. First we have strings that go out of tune. Maybe they are false. Where'd these fake strings come from? Maybe steal strings would stay in tune. No, I don't think you should steal strings.

For those who don't recognize the Tower of Babel, I refer you to Google. For those who really want entertainment, I suggest running this message through Babel Fish.

If your problem isn't solved by now, I suggest a set of Dominants. They're cheap, and after a day or two they stay in tune better than steel (they aren't as temperature-sensitive). However, the wood will swell and shrink. It will all stay in tune for a week if temperature and humidity are really constant, or 10 minutes if not.

I like your sense of humor. I think steal string stay tuned better that steel string ...at this time and age, it is kinda sad to be american. I get kinda depress watching the great American Empire collaping around us because of ignorances, hatred, fear, greed, deceptions, and mis-use of power. Without getting in too political...all i have to say is thanks for the humor...

PS: La Folia is one of my all time favorite piece. Do you memorize the whole piece? Do you play Kreitzler version?

Cheer,