Maestronet Forums

Identification Game Redux

Guy_Gallo

I bet the experts who took part in the previous one could just about do this one blind-folded.

The only one I'm absulotely sure about is #4 (del Gesu). #7 I'm fairly certain is J.B Guadagnini, #2 probably Stradivari. The rest confuse me a bit, I think most of them are Guarneri family.

I agree. I think #3 is P. Guarneri (Venice) and I'm pretty sure as well that #7 is J.B Guadagnini. Those were my initial reactions. #8...I'm gonna go way out in left field here and give all you experts something to laugh about...Ombono Strad? OK...you weren't supposed to laugh THAT hard!!!

#5 and 6 look so familiar but I can't venture a guess...something about the broadness of #5 and the the prominent perflings of #6 ring a bell.

....wait...is #5 a Guad as well...nahhhh never mind. I'm pulling all this outta thin air.

They're all Deconets, except for No. 7, which is a Lorenzo Guadagnini. Seriously, the only ones I can identify with any confidence are No. 4, which is too obvious even to warrant mentioning, and No. 7, because somewhere I've seen a picture of a G. B. Guadagnini (probably the same violin) with the shocking f-holes.

Congratulations to those who were willing to try. Knowing how easily I could be fooled, I kept my mouth shut.

I think this also illustrates the problems of (1) amateurism (mine) and (2) identification from pictures. I got the Guarneri right and one of the Strads (sort of), but there are irregularities in the pictures and the instruments that left me wondering. For example, is the scroll on #2 really crooked? And I could see that the camera aim was wrong for #8. Even so, it looks far too lopsided for a Strad. I can understand why someone thought of Strad's son (or maybe even a demented cousin?). And could some of those f-holes really be that bad?

The color photos help a lot. Even so, I would have gotten some of them wrong.

It doesn't look like one at all--not even a little?

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I've got a little collection of Goffriller pix, and none have c-bouts even close to that. Also, the "real" f-holes are all too high, and these in the photo are too low. I thought initially that it most closely resembled Joseph Guarneri filius Andrea (the c-bouts are very similar, but not close enough), but the f position is too low for him as well, though I do have a set of filius f-holes that are dead ringers for your "Goffriller", and no real Goffriller fs that resemble it at all.

Interestingly enough, I have only one photo I can find with that particular outline, and it's a Carlo Tononi that's not like the others I have pix of, but does have an original brand. I don't know much about Tononis, though.

Maybe it's some other obscure Venetian we/I don't know.

By the way, I have two volume of the collection "ALTE ITALIANISH MEISTERGEIGEN" (or something like that...) that are getting dust in my library, one is about the Cremonese Scholl and the other about the Venetian Scholl, I've got them when I was (too) young... Some (or must) of the violins "certificated" there are very strange to me...