Maestronet Forums

Fagnolas have kind of small tone & lack of depth?

wdman

Generally, no, it's not true in any measurable way. There's a definite tradition of grain placement, but it's not an intentional thing, but rather is dictated by the growth pattern of a tree, and how the wood is cut--it's not a tonal choice. Violin makers have messed with placement of wide and narrow grain, but I haven't heard anyone WHO'S ACTUALLY DONE IT, as opposed to armchair violinmakers, say it makes much of a diference.

In fact, if you believe recent research, contrary to many peoples' assumption, grain width has very little to do with wood stiffness, though that's not to say that it's totally irrelevant to tone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" ...If you haven't seen Fagnolas......" True, I have not seen , or heard of this violin you think it worths my effort to seek out that opportunity. Very few violins are really stand out ( in term of sound) I just don't have such luck.(to tell you the truth) May be two or three I actually played on them are good among 50. Other good violins,I know from people keep telling how great they are. Being told vs experienced it by playing is a different thing.

Do you know any good violin that you think "you must have" ? (Don't tell me you want a Strad lol)

".....seen the violins of one maker who I know builds thick stiffen up in about 4 or 5 years to the point where ".....customers say the violin isn't as nice as it was before.

There's no way, as a customer, for you to know, unless you measure, yourself AND know what's right for a particular type of violin....." Mr. Darnton said.

A German trade violin weighs a ton. If you suddenly find a German light weight trade violin and look at inside you see a lot of new chisel marks would that be sufficeint a clue?

-------------------------------------------------------

Amen bro'.

But I think I understand that there are different motives behind shopping for a violin. If I were a violinist with enough bucks to buy a Fagnola AND I wanted a really nice violin to play which I personally really liked, I would buy any Fagnola which I could afford, and keep some small change to buy a really nice violin to play for under $5000. Then I could claim to play a Fagnola - and play the other one when it really counts.

Jacob

------------------------------------------------------

If I read this post correctly it means "Fagnolas" has a high

price tag . The price tag alone impresses anybody (controversal about sound)? Wow, what a luck violin it is.

Has anyone tried it and reported its greatness? (At least a half dozen qualified players have tried it to be sure) Did it happen ? Please share your knowledge of this "Fagnolas". Thank you.

Not that I know every professional string player and what they play, but I don't know of a single professional string player who plays on a Fagnola or Bisiach. I know a bunch of Scarampella, Rocca, Pressenda, Antoniazzi, and Postiglione instruments in the hands of pros though. Just my opinion, but many good modern makers can make something that sounds better than the Fagnola and Bisiach instruments I've seen. Many famous soloists who set aside their del Gesu or Strad for the night will take up an instrument by a modern master, but don't know any of them using any of those turn of the century Italian instruments. Wonder why.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Excuse me for renovating this well worn thread. I played the Fagnola a bit yesterday at Tarisio. Rather than characterize it as "small tone" "thin" "lacking depth", I would say that this violin is truly Sweet. Very nice to play, easy response. Very even from low to high. Probably not the best fiddle for strident concerti like the Beethoven or Sibelius, but nice for chamber music, or just for the joy of playing.

CamQTR

• 3 weeks later...

Michael, if a visual line (a darker grain line) appears on the top plate or back, would that be more prone to a crack later on in its violin life? I have requested the same question to a auction house, they said it wasn't a crack

would you give us some clue on that one, thanks.