Maestronet Forums

Fagnolas have kind of small tone & lack of depth?

wdman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Michael and other experts in here, how would you guys

quantify against playing a Guaraneri del Gesu is harder than Strad but sound more richer in all register? That's why some great soloists out there have two violin and one each as I presume, I might be wrong. Has it got anything to do with the thickness as well, thicker here and thinner there? Have you makers figure out a master violin that could do the blend of the two?

Every violin is different, even by the same maker, they will have something in commom, but they are different. I've never tried to blend them, but I do try to get a violin with a very open sound that is sweet and rich at the same time, every maker strives for that.

Is it where Lord Wilton del Gesu has 2 different f-holes or it is a completely different thing altogether. How about have a del Gesu graduation and arching and a Strad f-holes, would that be rich and well as bright tonewise by the end of the day?

I think the fair way to put it is that there are so many other things going on, assigning it to the f-holes is more likely because that's something everyone can see. If daSalos and Guarneris were brown and Strads purple, someone would be saying the color causes it. But there's much more to it than just any small contribution two mm of f-hole length might give.

I have to agree with you strongly. As an Engineer, working on RF power, and plasma chamber; Believe it or not it is very similar to acoustic sound energy. And, what we may call "variables" could be numerous--more than we even know about. So, as i've always experienced, nature is a multi-dimentionals phenomenon. And, most of the time, they are all interact, inter-dependent to each others. So, like you said, the end-result (or the bottom-line) is still the "ear test".

I can also, contest to you that, in most cases, if you've gotten a fairly well build violin, with a fairly good choice of woods; you can almost "tune" the sound to what ever you'd prefer. I can make the violin sound brighter, warmer, lounder, more focus...and, i am not even a maker or a restorer. I have simply figured out most of the "tricks" on my own or by observing other violins setting.

Cheer,

What's other contribution might give the difference Michael? For example on the arching, would a larger volume of the sound box has to do with darker sound and flattish box would give a boarder sound? If the arching is larger on

the top plate together with the longer F-holes, would that be a darker sounding violin? We have to put the length&width of the body into account as well, haven't we?

Michael, is there any way that we could spot the dark sounding violin by looking at the degree of arching?

I just recall from memory that normally when the violin is strad copy then it would not be as "thick" from top to bottom plates in the middle as a guarneri copy; and the sound would normally be bright and vice versa. What are the rest of the contributions that could arrive darker sound?

Indeed, maybe I didn't go to one of the occasions as there were two again Fagnolas, one was a Rocca model with Woyward cert. and I couldn't recall the other one in the Sothebys auction house. Apparently, the sold wasn't the Rocca but both listed were very much at the same selling margin....

That's great Michael, did you come across the violin by Fagnola made in 1924 in Tarisio auction where it had 2 saddle cracks and sold for 45000us? If the instrument is not in good condition to play with, where would the bidders think about besides the name??