Maestronet Forums

Repair question

Ron1

The other day when the strings of a previously assumed "sound" violin were being tightened and tuned after a long period of dis-use, the upper back was separated from the sides at the button/neck & for about 3 inches on each side. With the pressure now off the strings, the fingerboard is now resting on the top, and a lot of pressure seems to be required to push the back into place- also, it appears that the back is not sufficiently long that the button will cover the neck part- looks to be about 2 mm short. Does it sound like re-gluing the back is going to fix this, or do I have a larger problem? I intend to have whatever repairs are necessary done by a luthier, but wonder what I might be expecting. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

Yes, it seems as though the neck may be pulled "up", because nothing is preventing the ribs at that point from twisting. It really takes a LOT of pressure to pull the back up where it needs to be- I guess the neck will be pulled back down when it is re-glued? Ron.