Maestronet Forums

Kaplan Non-Whistling E-string

I've had a good experience with the softest gauge Jargar E's. The one E string I can't stand is Dominant steel E's; I've never tried the wound ones, though.

Milstein squeaked an open E in Scherzo-Tarantella on his 1946 Library of Congress recital CD, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I bought a few of the new Kaplan Solutions E to try out. While I find them fairly nice to play on, I can't believe for the life of me that the ball end isn't removable! Instead I'm forced to use their little metal extender with my hill tuner, thus shortening the string length considerably.

Where do you get these? Are they on shar? Must go check. They're only ball end? Hey, that sucks. Can you usually take the ball out? I know, I sound retarded... But this is new. The red lable es that I used to use before my new violin with loop-y tuner came along never squeaked. I wonder if one can take the ball out of those...

I have been using a Eudoxa wound E for many years, it does reduce whistling, but I don't think it is as brilliant as a solid E. Very good sting, never the less.

No ball end on the Eudoxa.

Related question, I once tried a violin on which if you attacked the open E too hard and close to the fingerboard, it would start to warble between two semi-tones, like a trill. I have never experienced this on another violin, is this what is known as a wolf tone? It was otherwise a good violin by a well known U.S. maker.

Michael Darnton says the E whistle is usually the set up and that a wound E should be the last resort. Gold plated E’s are notorious. I’m inclined to think that some violins tend to whistle and some don’t, gold plated E’s bring out the whistle or make it worse and setup can make it better or cure it. You can overcome a whistler by giving the bow an extra dig every time you cross to an open E but you shouldn’t have to. I have a whistler that I don’t play much and it’s a pain to remember to dig into open E’s. A wound E cures it but doesn’t sound as good.