Maestronet Forums

College kids

MsMazas

Well, I'm grad school-bound. I just found out yesterday that Peabody offered me a Graduate Assistantship in Chamber Music - basically a full-tuition scholarship to study violin with Pamela Frank and seriously concentrate on chamber music! Looks like I'll be a Baltimoron for another couple of years.

Has anyone else decided yet?

Wow -- what a treat you'll have! We played the Beethoven with Ms. Frank a few years ago, and the concerts were like playing chamber music with her. I think to go to grad school to study chamber music would be heaven...(especially with Pamela Frank as your teacher).

We've only had official notification from U Md. An E-mail acceptance from another teacher, a couple of weeks ago, but no official acceptance from the school. A friend called CIM on Friday and the last batch of letters were being mailed out that day, so hopefully something official from CIM will be in the mail Monday or Tuesday. NEC was the other school my son applied to, but so far nothing from them either. I guess next week things will start coming in.

Congratulations on your assistantship, Jesse! I think Baltimore is a really exciting place to be doing chamber music these days. It is definitely a more active scene that it was even as recently as 5 years ago. Seems like during the regular season there are at least 3 or 4 interesting concerts to choose from every Sunday afternoon or evening, let alone all the stuff during the week at Peabody and elsewhere.

(BTW, I saw a notice for your recital a couple of weeks ago when I was hurrying to my weekly lesson at the Prep, but it was literally about to start so I couldn't go...I hope it went well. I've also seen a poster or two about the Rivendell Quartet and hope to attend a concert sometime. I enjoyed meeting Liz last summer when I was observing for the week at Peabody Prep's string camp but I never really got to hear her play.)

Best wishes to everyone else as well!

That's actually increadibly cool! I've only heard good things about Pamela Frank (extrodinary player), but that is so awesome! Nicely done!

I've kinda half-heartly decided on the University of Texas. I was invited to Brian Lewis' studio (he just moved there last year, five openings) and I guess I'll be the only freshman violinst. Yup, they gave me a full ride, plus some extra for "traveling costs," whatever that means. I also heard a little from CIM, and was very dissapointed to find out that Mr. Updegraff literally has no room. He had one opening, and I didn't get it. However, I'm on the top of his waitlist, woohoo. Even if I got into the school (which he hinted at) I'm not sure if I would want my parents to pay 30k+ to study with someone who I don't know. I also got some interesting vibes from the school, and I just thought that the location was awful. Too industrial if you ask me.

Anyway, I should stop rambling. Congrats! That's wonderful!

--Mazas

I'll be going to Grand Valley State University (close to my hometown) for a major in Graphic Design and minors in Music and Computer Science. I want to have a career as a Website Designer/Programmer and teach Violin/Viola on the side.

Congrats everybody, on getting this far in your education!

Best Regards

Saggio

Quote:

Although I must admit, this thread is making me feel old.

Me, too. Middle life crisis just over the horizon. Arghh!

A quick question to the Baltimorons on this thread from a former Baltimoron :

Is Klara Berkovitch still at it at Peabody? Just curious...

I was (very!) casually acquainted with her and her son Len (of the Baltimore Symphony) ages ago in my Baltimorean days.

OTB, Gary

its frightening to think that this time a year ago i was getting my letters in the mail.

i actually have a few friends awaiting letters, i wonder.

congrats to everyone!

i could have sworn someone from vegas was going to texas to study with brian lewis...or maybe not...the gossip is kinda disjointed whether he was majoring in violin or engineering (w/music minor) there. or if it was north texas. *confused*

Her name is not listed in the faculty directory for either the Conservatory or the Preparatory (hasn't been for at least several years). I don't know if she is actively teaching privately, either. I know that she was at one of Hilary Hahn's Baltimore performances in 2000 (and probably others since then).

yeah...his name is scott. i've known him for three years...quite a good player, a pretty nice guy. i don't know anyone else who would be going there...i wasn't sure if he was going for violin or engineering...perhaps both. who knows, the gossip out of vegas always gets slightly twisted as gossip does. i'm pretty sure its him though, the chances of it being anyone else are slim.