Maestronet Forums

Unethical Ebay Practice

nicolo

The Ebay seller "anewminicooper" has been listing violins at starting bids of .99 and advertising them as having no reserve. I have noticed in my watch lists that there are bids on some violins until the auctions end, and then they show up as having had 0 bids. At that time, the violins are re-listed. I didn't understand this until I bid on one of those violins yesterday. This morning, I had an e-mail from Ebay with this notice:

Dear eBay Community Member,

The bid that you entered for the item (3714705178 ) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Regards,

eBay

This guy is terminating his manure-laden listings just before the auctions end if the bidding has not gone high enough for him. His reason given for an early termination is that there was an error in the listing, but the immediate re-listing appears to be exactly the same as the original one.

Here's one of his current listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3714916539

Ths seller does have a high percentage of unsold/relisted items. Since the violins are on a par with only a few thousand similar instruments on eBay I'd be inclined to try a different vendor, one who will actually complete the transaction.

And my pet peeves about eBay? Peeve #1: Listings with "User ID kept private" drive me crazy. I have no idea if I'm bidding against another buyer or the seller himself. Peeve #2: A buyer or seller with "private" in the feedback area. I totally lose confidence in the buyer or seller involved. I don't understand why eBay tolerates such things.

Barry

Recently, on more expensive items, bidders are emailed by frauds who offer to sell them the exact same item for less. I was tempted to make my bidder list private to avoid such situations, but the downside of loss of credibility out weighs the benefit of additional safety.

I have a printing press for sale on eBay right now and it is an expensive item (for eBay, but a cheap press). I expect it to sell for near $50,000. The bidders have been contacted by an individual offering them 3 brand new presses, under warranty, just like it for $6000- that's $2000 each. He said he would ship it UPS Air-quite a task since the press weighs over 100,000 lbs!

Jesse

Quote:

And my pet peeves about eBay? Peeve #1: Listings with "User ID kept private" drive me crazy. [...] I don't understand why eBay tolerates such things.

I wonder if the option to keep bidders' identities private was originally designed for auctions in the adult categories. For some reason I don't quite understand, there are some people who are reluctant to have a search on their id as bidder turn up a listing for "HOT XXX ANIMAL ACTION!"

- Mike Stein

• 7 months later...

Hi, all!

I thought to provide a quick update on this less than stellar seller, "anewminicooper".

His name is Steve Eddy, BTW. I recently was asked by my friend violinmaker from overseas to purchase lot of 10 violin shoulder rests at the lowest possible price. I scoured eBAY trying to beat wholesalers' prices and to my chagrin I ended up talking to this deadbeat, "anewminicooper". He responded very enthusiastically, i.e. "Pay me through PayPal if you prefer, and I will ship the lot tomorrow!". Well, I did that and that was a whole month ago. Since then, he would not communicate with me at all, basically decided to grab the money and ignore me, especially since this was not an eBAY transaction. Well, I ended up filing a PayPal complaint and after 30 days and their investigation of my claim, they reversed the transaction and fortunately for me, I got the last laughs.

However, I just want to caution all on this guy and many others out there that are dishonorable dishonest scammers. So, if you read this, Mr McDario, Anewminicooper, Steve Eddy, or WHATEVER you are, you can take your crappy merchandise and stick it up your left f-hole.

(Sorry, guys, I am usually much better behaved in my mature age!)

ATB, Gary

I think I'm in the process of being fleeced by an eBay seller, for my first time. Yay me. Not. I paid this mass machine-shop tools seller a week ago by PayPal for the metric dial indicator I'd won, and haven't heard back anything from him yet. The guy has 98% positive feedback, but that 2% is almost all people claiming they paid and never received any goods. What's alarming is that 98% is a longer-term average, his feedback this last month has been something like 5% bad. The guy does lots and lots of auctions, because we're talking about ~50 bad feedbacks this last month alone out of over 1000 positive feedbacks also this month. I'll see if he'll respond to me, then I'm going the PayPal and eBay complaint route.

Give the seller about a week or two to respond. I sent this deadbeat, Steve Eddy, a steady stream of emails for about two weeks asking him to respond and advise on the status. The wording got progressingly stronger and threatening. After that I filed a PayPal claim and they reversed the money back to my account. Voila!

Incidentally, this Steve Eddy, aka anewminicooper, has a 98.5% eBAY feedback rating, too. I wonder how many shill feedbacks are those?

A seller's account on Paypal requires verification and provides them access to a checking account as well as backup on a credit card. I had a payment from an overseas ebay bidder reversed due to fraud on the buyer's part. Fortunately I hadn't shipped immediately.

A seller like minicrapper cannot risk his ebay and Paypal accounts.

Jesse

Hi, Glenn.

The filing of the PayPal claim was almost as easy as sending the money itself. You click on the link and follow their instructions. One thing is their customer service is real good - they responded via automated acknowledgement first, then I was copied on the response from the seller,in this case, this moron minicrapper (thank you Jesse, I like that nick!) actually responded to PayPal with some cockamamie that he sent it to me via registered mail, but did not provide the tracking number (yeah, right!). Anyway, pretty smooth process, but I hope none of us have to resort to it in the future.

Also, I am not sure about seller taking the money out or not - I think Jesse already answered that one, but I got the money back and that's all I am concerned with.

ATB, Gary

"Incidentally, this Steve Eddy, aka anewminicooper, has a 98.5% eBAY feedback rating, too. I wonder how many shill feedbacks are those?"

I think either his customers get a low enough price that they are satisfied or they don't realize the difference between what he said and what they got. Some sellers will not leave feedback until the buyer does. Then, it's a positive for a positive or a negative for a negative. Maybe that strategy helps keep his percentage up.

I have learned more about anewminicooper. I follow his activity on Ebay from time to time just because I find his bull**** amusing. "Professional quality violin, hand made by a gifted maker," and crap like that. I sent an e-mail once asking for the name of the "gifted maker." He didn't respond. The man is a good photographer. He produces flattering images of inexpensive Chinese fiddles and accompanies them with dishonest sales pitches.

Awhile back, he submitted a post on Maestronet in which he pretended to be a potential buyer of one of his own violins. He claimed to have had the opportunity to play it before bidding, and went on about how impressed he was.

This guy could describe his stuff for what it is, sell it for what it's worth, and still make a buck. Too bad he won't do business that way. I wouldn't believe anything he says.

I bought one of his violins when I first went on ebay for my neice as she wanted a cheap one to start on. I had a hell of a lot of trouble just paying him. He would not take paypal and I had to go via western union which cost a fortune. His violin was just a factory instrument with ten tons of nasty laquer varnish on it - OK set up but wood looked like it had been cut the day before and he said it was made in '95. He is one of those sneaky types I hate on ebay. The violins he sells are OK for kids - this one had a quite mellow tone but no good for anyone serious. I think some Chinese violins are very good though. I bought one to see what it was like from another seller on ebay and it is quite good - a really powerful tone, however it looks like it would not last the distance and maybe will fall apart in a few years.

This is not the 1st time someone has gone on to Maestronet to share about their ebay fraud experience. I think it will be a good idea to document these kind of behaviours on someone's website. After the website info is establish then the website may be linked by other sites such as Maestronet and ViolinRing. It is unfortunate that things like this happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread should be sent to "anewmincooper" with a request for his comments.

I ALSO think such should be done with ANY apparently dishonest ebay-er. After all, they should have a chance ton reply, and silence would be damning. Garret Pate replied to some derogatory posts, and his replies basically bore out the negative opinions of the original posters.

I ALSO think I should be given a cookie, because I suggested a forum devoted to EBay stuff.

I ALSO want to publicly offer Kudos to Pahdah hound. I bid on one of his ebay fiddles a couple days ago(I lost) because he offered an inspection period and a money-back guarantee.

That shows that he's an honorable fellow, and those are rare these days.

All best

Philip

I wonder how many of you have been following this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...10455365.htm?1c

You've heard me say it before, that in any real neighborhood, Ebay would have been shut down by the cops long ago as a den of vice. Nice to see that in India they have an effective legal system, much quicker on the draw than ours. Who'd have guessed?

Quote:

I think this thread should be sent to "anewmincooper" with a request for his comments.

I ALSO think such should be done with ANY apparently dishonest ebay-er. After all, they should have a chance ton reply, and silence would be damning. Garret Pate replied to some derogatory posts, and his replies basically bore out the negative opinions of the original posters.

I ALSO think I should be given a cookie, because I suggested a forum devoted to EBay stuff.

I ALSO want to publicly offer Kudos to Pahdah hound. I bid on one of his ebay fiddles a couple days ago(I lost) because he offered an inspection period and a money-back guarantee.

That shows that he's an honorable fellow, and those are rare these days.

All best

Philip

Jesse is about as square, plumb, and level as they get.

John

I have had no dealings with anewminicooper so my comment is a general one regarding the description of his violins.

I guess they are all, or mainly, Chinese and there is still an enormous stigma attached to these. However, as part of my ongoing education, I purchased one for around $300 from a distributer in Hong Kong.

I was absolutely amazed at the quality of the workmanship and tonal properties. Not only that, it came tuned and ready to play with a bow and a splendid case and cover.

Even at Chinese wages, it's hard to believe this value for money.

There are now many excellent violin (and bow) makers in China; some are members of the VSA.

China has a long and illustrious history of fine craftsmanship in wood, metal, and all manner of materials so, in my opinion, this is the area of the world to watch for good instruments at a fair price.

It's just a pity we don't know more of violin making in China. The HK distributor would tell me nothing of the alledged maker of my violin, Zhang Shu Mei, so I don't even know if he is a real person or a factory fiction.

We all need more education in this regards.

Quote:

It's just a pity we don't know more of violin making in China. The HK distributor would tell me nothing of the alledged maker of my violin, Zhang Shu Mei, so I don't even know if he is a real person or a factory fiction.

We all need more education in this regards.

Well, judging by the number of violins that seller is selling, I don't think it's possible for one man to make so many. The ones that are probably made by him alone are probably the ones with high startng bids and certificate. Read the wording carefully. Some of them say that the oil varnish is done by him alone. Others say he will add his signature to the label to add value.