Maestronet Forums

Progress pix

Michael Darnton

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michael, I think that the 2/3 ratio is not aplied to violas. I follow the guidelines given by René Morel in an article about viola making in the Strad. He says that the instring lenght should be the same regardless the body lenght of the viola.

OK, finally there are new photos up, as of five minutes ago. This round is the scroll and neck. It's getting very near the end!

Manfio, since a lot of violists are also violinists, I think it's still very important to keep the ratio right, but best yet to keep the ratio AND string length right. Right?

"since a lot of violists are also violinists, I think it's still very important to keep the ratio right, but best yet to keep the ratio AND string length right. Right?"

I play both instruments, and for me the switching from one to the other is easiest, if the proportions (string length, neck length and distance from end pin to bridge) remain the same. In this case the change to the viola is just an extension of down shifts from the first position down to positions "-1, -2" and so on (The first finger "leads" downwards and the others fall naturally in place).

BTW, Michael, could you again put images of your Del Gesu copy somewhere, I liked it very much, but missed to save it and now it's gone

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Michael, I hope you don't mind but I have some questions I'd like to ask. I recall reading that the viola model that your currently making is essentially an enlarged violin model. Would I be correct in assuming that this was done using Photoshop? Are the f-holes dervived from this blow-up as well? I noticed that your using a violin-style scroll, is that scaled up from a violin too? If so, is it scaled up the same amount as the body is? How long is the fingerboard? Am I asking too many questions?...hmmm, I think I know that one!

Cool, sounds good. I've read that the viola fboard is "supposed" to be 5/6 of the string length. I remember the reasoning was so that a harmonic was located at the end of the fboard. Violin fboards are 270mm with a string length around 328mm, which would equal 273mm, so maybe it's one of those "in theory" rules. Anyways, your 312mm fboard would equal a 374mm string length, which sounds about right. One other question, do you taper the ribs in the same fashion as a violin? Same amount of taper?

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, I've followed the progress of this instrument with great anticipation, looking at it every week or so...thank you so much for posting these pictures. It really gives the 'players' of us who may not have ever seen this side of the art a chance to see all the love and care that goes into our instruments before they reach our hands.

Your photos are so beautiful! Each time I go back I admire the gorgeous wood and the graceful lines of your instrument, revealed by your beautiful lighting and composition...then I have to close the window because I am overcome with this longing to play it! Thanks so much for sharing, and we can't wait to see the final product!

Best Regards,

Saggio