Maestronet Forums

Failed Idea

Regis

Having a jewelry background, I thought I had a good idea for some "left-over" settings (small 14kt gold settings with 2mm faceted stones). I bought a set of pegs drilled 2.14mm holes in the end and inserted the settings. Put them on ebay for a week at $9.95. 50 people looked but, no interest. Glad that I didn't buy 30-40 sets of pegs (that's all the settings that I have). Probably should have used a lot better pegs but, going to just drop the idea completely. Here's a picture:

http://www.regisbows.com/pegs1a.jpg

If anyone in this forum wants to "dress-up" a set of pegs or tail piece for yourself, send me an e-mail or PM with your address and I'll send you 4 (or so). Outside USA you'll have to send an SASE. Requires 2.14mm or 2.24mm precise hole to get them to grip the sidewall of the hole.

Regis

We sell something similar on our website. There have been few bites. One thing you have to remember about the violin world is that it is pretty old school in terms of what goes on an instrument. There have been many innovations over the years that have not caught on simply because of this.

Now take your product to the jazz/rock/world beat market and I think you'll be more pleased. There are a number of different advertising venues that are better than eBay. If you want more info, PM me privately.

I didn't have enough product (140-150? pieces) to go at this in any big way. The settings are no longer available (unless custom run at big$$) so I was just trying to clear some inventory to make way for (& fund) some bow parts. I've had a couple request and will give away some of the settings for private use of "Pegbox" participants then sell the rest. I'm putting the pegs from the photo on a Rubus that I'm almost finished restoring for myself. 'think I'll stick to bows.

tx,

Regis