Sign in to follow this  
mitch

Music Summer Camp

Could anyone recommend a good summer camp with a music program? My daughter will be eleven in July. She is currently playng the Bach A minor Concerto (Suzuki Book 7). She also plays in an orchestra and a string quartet and loves chamber music. We (her parents) would prefer that the camp be in the Northeast or in California, and not last more than four or five weeks.

Thanks

Get the Strings Magazine summer study guide. I don't know if it's out yet, you could check their website. They list virtually every study festival in the country and many abroad as well. You should be able to find the right festival there.

Quote:

Could anyone recommend a good summer camp with a music program? My daughter will be eleven in July. She is currently playng the Bach A minor Concerto (Suzuki Book 7). She also plays in an orchestra and a string quartet and loves chamber music. We (her parents) would prefer that the camp be in the Northeast or in California, and not last more than four or five weeks.

Thanks

I'm going to Bowdoin Festival this year - this is great. Great faculty and also great venue!

It's held in maine.

http://bowdoinfestival.org

They do accept late applications.. if interested quick!

Interlochen Arts Camp is a camp for ages 8-18. It is REALLY excellent- there's chamber music, orchestra (lots), private lessons, theory, etc. It's rather structured (there's uniforms) but there's such a variety of people (Creative writing, music, dance, theater) and of levels of advancement that everything's always great.

It runs 8 weeks, but you can choose to attend 1 session (4 weeks) only. There are grade seperations:

Under grade 7 (Junior, no audition)

over grade 6, under grade 10 (Intermediate, audition)

over grade 9, under college. (High School, audition.)

I have heard good things about Point Counterpoint. I have also heard great things about Kinhaven -- I think it is in Vermont for students in your daughter's range. Ithaca has a chamber music camp --- I'm not sure what age and I think you have to audition to be accepted, but that is also supposed to be very good.

My son went to Meadowmount at 13 or 14 and had a horrible experience. They do take some younger students and some kids enjoy it, but our experience was totally negative.

I think that there is a camp called Encore II for younger students. I have heard good things about it. I think it may be connected with Encore which is run by Linda Cerone.

Encore II runs two weeks, ages 7 to 12, on the same campus as Encore. It seems pretty cool... I just got back from Encore a few weeks ago. I didn't see too much of the Encore II kids, but they seemed to have a great time. As for Encore, you don't have to be a certain age to go, I don't think. And it was, honest to god, the best experiance of my life.

This post is late in the coming...

I would suggest that your daughter try going to Apple Hill. www.applehill.org

It's a wonderful center for chamber music and for people of all ages who love music. The artists are well known, and the music is becomes so alive in the friendly surroundings of the New Hampshire hills. The atmosphere is a multi-cultural, family setting where everyone is encouraged to play his/her best - coached, supported and inspired in a non-competitive setting. It's a special experience for chamber music - give it a try!