Maestronet Forums

Tango?

med54

Hi,

I have and am still searching online for the "Tango" song from "True Lies", it is by Carlos Gardel and the name is "Por Una Cabeza"...I am looking for the music/score for Violin solo. Hope someone here can help....cause this is an absolute favorite of mine! Thanks in advance! med54

Are you looking for the John Williams arrangement, from Perlman's Cinema Serenade CD? That one is only available from John Williams. I learned that in December, entirely by accident -- my husband performed the piece, and the conductor here needed to contact Mr. Williams directly and arrange for performance rights and loan of the parts. The parts are all handwritten, not published, and I think there's only one set in circulation -- they were already on loan to another orchestra when the conductor here inquired, so he needed to wait until that performance was over before the parts could be sent this way. The Williams arrangement is quite different from the arrangement linked to earlier. One of my absolute favorites.

Hi,

thanks for your effort! I did come across the one fiddlefaddle posted, and the website todotango.com but I was just curious if anybody knew of a website to order the sheet music. And I am not sure if it is the one from Perlman's Cinema Serenade cd, I heard it from "True Lies", its sooo beautiful! Your effort is much appreciated!!!!

well, you can down load a magnificant original copy of the manuscript from the site I showed you for free. why would you want to purchase it? I can't show you the exact page because it's in frames. But a simple search on the site, and some experimentation will get you a flawless quality document, with a nice Arte deco cover.

One of the CDs is TRACING ASTOR: GIDON KREMER PLAYS ASTOR PIAZZOLLA.

There are two others: VIVALDI AND PIAZZOLLA: EIGHT SEASONS and PIAZZOLA: TANGO BALLET.

In the case of doubt, I would buy them all!

There is also a very good CD by YO YO MA callede THE SOUL OF THE TANGO.

Quote:

you can down load a magnificant original copy of the manuscript from the site I showed you

I don't know if it's my setup or what, but the copy I can print from that site is not of "magnificent" quality. It is blurred and formed of little dots (I have a laser printer). Can you get a better copy from the site -- and if so how (what am I doing wrong)?

well, can't you print of the image above... OK , Not magnificent, even though I happen to think the cover qualifies as such, just on artistic merit. the image above is perhaps a bit less than ultra clean, but older manuscripts certainly are not as pristine as new. I guess it's a matter of taste. sorry. Thought i was being helpful.

FF, I didn't mean to imply that you were not being helpful -- I'm just wondering if there's something else I can do to get a better copy (like, it may be a problem with one of my settings, printer, etc. Printing from the image you posted isn't any better. [bTW, it DOES look fine onscreen -- it just gets "dotty" when printed.] The cover doesn't look too good when I print it out either -- so we may be looking at two completely different products because of our individual printing setups). I could take this printout and hand transfer it into Finale, and have something I could put on my stand and read from, but in its current form, it would be hard to play from on a music stand.

You ARE being helpful -- the Todo Tango site is a good one (I've visited it before). Even a blurred copy of this (or any other tango) is much better than nothing -- I just wish I knew of a less time-intensive way of getting a copy I could play from than by hand-copying it into Finale.

Piazzola is a genius, he used to play a lot here in Brazil, but I was too young and had no money to go to the concerts. Strangely enought, he is much more famous outside Argentina, his homeland. His studio recordings are in general much better than his live recordings.