Maestronet Forums

Carbon Fiber Bow

Lane

Well...I have tried both the violin and cello bows. I own the violin and my Dad has a cello. We both agree they are pretty darn good for the price. For under $200...good balance, nice feel to the stick, good spring to the bow. I had to rehair my bow as soon as I got it, though. The hair was pretty crappy. I put fiddler's hair on it and it works great!

Quote:

Has anyone tried or currently playing an Arcolla CF bow? What are your thoughts re this bow? I've been playing a JE Martin for almost three years and have not so much as touched a CF bow. I'm kinda intrigued. Lp

CF bows might sound interesting but once you try it out for a bit you just never go back to it again. Well thats what i found. Stick to the woodstick.

I happen to have a Coda Conservatory that I like a great deal. However, I will tell you what I tell everyone who posts asking about a particular kind of bow. Even if everyone in this forum thought the CF bow you mention was the greatest thing since Tourte died, you might not like it. The best advice I can give (and if you look at previous threads on bows, you will see I have given it before) is to go to a violin shop and try out a whole bunch of different bows in your price range, both wood and CF. See which one or ones work best for you and then have someone play your violin for you with it/them to see how your violin sounds when the bow is used. Then choose.

I am interested in CF as a whole. That particular bow just happened to be the one I was reading about prior to posting. Just testing the water; would it be worth my time,effort and money. There are no shops where I live and it would have to be accomplished via mailorder. So just a bit of feedback would help me decide. All the best --- Lp

Some mail-order suppliers like Shar also have a good bow-approval system, and it's maybe even better to have a chance to try the bows in your own home / usual performance venues than in a shop. Since I mentioned Shar I want to put in a plug for the Finkel-workshop carbon/wood hybrid bows which they distribute. I am very, very happy with my recently purchased H. Bru viola bow- for just under $600, it has the sound of a good pernambuco bow with the strength and quick bounce attainable in that price range only by carbon fiber. (As it happens I also have a J.E. Martin which is a pretty decent bow and serves as an adequate backup.)

I learned to play with wood but decided to try a CF bow a few months ago. I don't anticipate going back to wood any time soon. The CF if comfortable, light, quick, and simply sounds better. Now I havn't been playing first chair for 20 years like some of the folks around here, but for my purposes the CF is the way to go.