Maestronet Forums

Joshua Bell....Mendelssohn

technique_doc

I know I'm arriving a bit late at the party but I wanted to express my joy at hearing Joshua Bell/Camerata Salzburg/Norrington - Mendelssohn Concerto.

I have heard Joshua's playing regularly but I was really struck by the performance.

He seems to have a very light and fresh style, and an approach to playing that seems to go against the trend for big 'fat' sounds and aggressive interpretation.

His consideration for the dynamics is superb and he finds variation (often not in the score) in even the smallest of phrases. It is a clean and tidy approach, with a good sense of direction and overall shape - most refreshing.

I know there are plenty of you who are admirers. This week I have been moved to tears by Gill Shaham and awoken to the joy of brilliantly executed and controlled playing by Bell.

I am sure to get the CD now.....finaly to break the trend!

T_D

The little I've heard of Bell seems like he has talent, not only technique! (more than usual for today).

I might now keep an eye out for it when I next buy cd's.

Although, I would much prefer to get a good radio-tape setup and the Israel radio schedules and to record things I want from the radio, at short notice, or even with time-switch.

I really enjoyed the recent Hahn recording of the Mend. - real excitement in the third movement. I saw Bell a few years ago playing Beethoven concerto - his body movements on stage were over the top and hard to watch, and although his playing is technically at the highest level, with good control of tone, I found the perfomance musically lightweight - I actually prefer Bell playing bluegrass to classical.

'I've always thought Bell is one player who is better to listen to than watch '

Um......I think you may be right! I saw the programme on/about him/his Tchaikovsky at the proms a few years back.

I'm glad you replied because (as you know) I don't generally move too far off the track with players. If you were to describe in words the way he plays, I'd probably say it wouldn't be for me but it is really impressive playing. I'm intrigued to know if he manages all the dynamics in concert - I suspect much of it that is so gentle probably wouldn't cut through an unsympathetic orchestra.

The Gill thing was just me being sentimental - he was playing 'Remembrances' John Williams from Schindler's list. It is a piece I used to play regularly if I was planning on 2 encores after a recital. Also, the themes from the film have a special meaning for me. It was just so right at the time (hearing his version).

Got to teach.

T_D

I saw Bell do a terrfic performance of the Four Seasons where he was substituting for Mutter on very short notice. Watching him was a great pleasure as you could see how carefully he maintained contact with the different parts of the orchestra backing him up. At least in that one, I thought watching him was a real treat.

I saw Bell a year or two ago -- the Barber concerto with the NYPhil. Dynamics were not an issue. He was extraordinary.

Yes, he moves a lot. But for all his movement, the relative position of violin to body to bow doesn't really every alter. And his playing even in the most difficult passages never seems to suffer. Just my two cents.

Anyway, his moving doesn't bug me. If only moving like that could make me play like THAT...

I'm really looking forward to seeing him at Carnegie Hall this season.

Quote:

Yes, he moves a lot. But for all his movement, the relative position of violin to body to bow doesn't really ever alter.

I was thinking the same thing. He never disturbs the "table" of the violin, so to speak... the bow/violin are amazingly stable. For someone who moves a lot, he displays a tremendous amount of control.

I have seen him several times and would agree that dynamics are not a problem.