Maestronet Forums

Unrelated computer question

administrator

I purchased an HP pavilion recently and the IE browser works very different on this computer than any other one I own. Everytime I shut down the computer, the browser settings have to be reloaded. it doesn't retain the size, location of the window; my google toolbar doesn't stay in the same place and the other customizations disappear.

Has anyone else had this problem? Know any fixes?

You could try right clicking on the toolbar when you have goggle where you want it and check "Lock the Tool bars".

You could open up My Computer and click on Folder Options, click on View, and scroll down in the list of Advanced settings and make sure "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

Might help.

Michael just said a bad word: "security". There is always some possibility that your computer is inhabited by an evil program. I don't even know how to begin to advise you. MS is still reading the dictionary, trying to understand what the word means, after having put millions (billions?) of lines of code on your computer.

I'm with you, strungup. Down with Microsoft! If you want a computer that works well: get a Mac. I bought a new digital cam this week. I tried to load the pictures onto an XP machine but had to spend almost an hour first loading software, toying with settings, etc. Brought the camera upstairs to my mac, plugged it in, had the pictures downloaded in 4 minutes.

AshNaj

You didn't say, but may we presume you are running Windows XP? If so, a registry tweak may be all that you need. There is a registry key that controls whether or not settings are saved:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies

Explorer]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies

Explorer]

Value Name: NoSaveSettings

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

If you are not familiar with changing registry values, you can download a little file "savesettingsonexit.reg" from the following site. Then double click on the saved program and it will automatically change the registry for you. You may get a warning from anti-virus programs, but ignore them.

Scroll down to #54 and, in the right column, click on "Save Settings On Exit," and save to a temporary folder:

Click Here

Good Luck!

"... had to spend almost an hour first loading software, toying with settings, etc."

Get a card reader, less than $20. You just plug it in to the USB port, and presto!, you have another drive. You can just move the files whereever you want. If you take 4 minutes, you're daudling. Possibly the only easy thing you'll ever do on your PC.

Now a register tweak, arghh!!! Let me out of here! (Most of us are stuck with Wintel.

A somewhat related experience. My HP Pavillion PC's Athlon CPU (that's the main processor chip for the "end-users") got fried barely 1 month after HP's 1 year warranty expired. Lesson really was learned when I took it to my old trusty neighborhood chop shop. Apparently, HP and other manufacturers have lots of similar issues with Athlon and AMD based motherboards. My remedy was to yank out almost dead motherboard and fried chip (pun intended ) and install Intel P4 motherboard. Voila! No problems! At the very least, consider buying an extended warranty from HP.

JMH2C.

In order of practicality, but in reverse order of preference.

1. Mozilla Firebird on Windoze.

2. Camino on Mac.

3. Mozilla Firebird on Linux.

There's not flash for the time being, but that's not nessecarily a BAD thing. [skip intro] Google search bar is there though - very simple and efficient. Thunderbird mail combined with an ISP that uses spam assasin is simply rock on toast, although still a bit buggy.

If you must 'Do The Microsoft' (and most of us must). You cannot survive without these things.

Adaware

Spybot Search & Destroy

CleanerX

Antivirus of some sort

A personal firewall

Watch out for my latest book "How an addiction to tabbed browsing ruined my life."