Maestronet Forums

Ida Haendel

verde

Tonight I went to the 373rd subscription concert of Osaka philharmonic orchestra.

Ida Haendel played Bruch g-mol concerto.

I know her name by old SP disc for about 40 years ago.

She was 80 years old !!

She played violin as if she told us many tales, spread a new world in front of me.

It's the first and may be the last chance to see her to me.

Hi, Verde

I play in a small community orchestra (very amateur). Our oldest player is 92 years old!! She is a fabulous player, better than most of us there!! We get together once a week, but she is also involved in other groups and performs almost every day.

I only hope that I can play as well as her when I reach 92!!! (thats about another 36 years).

Obsessed

(I only hope that I can play as well as her when I reach 92!!!)

I, too, have same hope with you, but I think to live long is not so easy and more difficult to play instrument vividly.

Well, I'll stop smoking, start joging, not neglect daily bowing exercise....Uhhhhh.

Yes, Verde, definitely stop smoking! It restricts the amount of oxygen that your blood can carry to your hands. Over a long time, your hands can become less dextrous.

Jogging does the opposite - it increases your blood flow and the amount of oxygen your muscles receive.

I hope we all can keep playing for a long, long time!

I heard her in recital a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to take her a while to really get warmed up, but after that there were more than a few flashes of her old form, though of course overall she can't come close to matching the technical command she had in her prime. What I really loved was that she played with the reckless abandon of youth, with not a trace of the cautiousness one might expect at her age. A magnificent spirit!

• 2 months later...