Maestronet Forums

New Vengerov

Violinerrrz

Thank you for the notice! I just purchased it (--having been so impressed by his live performance of Tzigane ...and especially considering that my kid probably will be using Saint Saens #3 for her college audition CD & will be performing Tzigane this year w/orchestra. There's a lot she can learn from his interpretations.)

J.

I have--and she is a very promising young violinist! (I am just frustrated that AOL Media Player, with its relentless buffering, makes it so difficult to enjoy an uninterrupted performance of a piece of music )

Ms Kim certainly is endowed with considerable technique and energy, as well as great sensitivity to dynamics and tone. I don't find her interpretation to be particularly unique, however (which is the reason I am so attracted to Vengerov's: I've never heard anything quite like his! It really made me stop and take notice of the music, not merely of his excellent playing).

Thank you for posting the link to Esther's audio clips. It is always a pleasure to hear up-and-coming young players!

J.

I know I keep saying this. Sorry if I get boring!

The CD is awesome....the live performance is beyond description. If you get the chance to see Maxim play live in your lifetime, GO!

Lalo will never be the same ordinary piece of frippery again after this. I have seen Maxim's Lalo live now (lets see) 7 times. Each time it is a revelation.

Please, those that go (or have been, he's already played Washington and Carnegie), what do you think? Is it just me??

Jane

yes, true, there are perhaps better violinists in the young generation, all a matter of opinion...

but surely noone can argue that there's any that are sexier.

btw, has anyone heard anything about his tour schedule? we were supposed to work with vengerov this summer at the schleswig-holstein festival playing saint saens 3 but he cancelled all his tour dates in july and august apparently due to health reasons.

grrr.

of course, on the bright side, we worked with frank peter zimmerman instead on brahms (which, in my opinion, saint saens could never hold a candle to). speaking of whom, there's a good one for the "best of the younger generation" award. what an incredibly precise and clean player!! his brahms was just unbelievable... and i know his recording of ysaye is also disgustingly good. i love playing with soloists of such a crazy calibre, because it makes me want to practice like a madwoman...

-liana

Carlo, I'll forgive you!!!

But even you must realise that sexiness is not just about looks. In any case assuming you are a young full blooded male I would be very worried about you if you found Maxim sexy

I agree there are lots of outstanding young musicians around right now, and we are very lucky to have the opportunity to see and hear them play. It certainly wouldn't do for everyone to have the same tastes and opinions. (good grief....the fingerboard would be very quiet if we did )

However you know where my colours are firmly attached.

BTW you're not by any chance going to the RAH gala on 30th Oct are you??

Jane

Hi TD

Yes, have been to de Montford and Brum Symphony Hall (in fact was there last Tuesday to see Cecilia Bartoli and OAE). Also go to Bridgewater in Manchester fairly regularly.

London dates I have to be creative with my work schedule and try and fix a business meeting when I can....doesn't always work though. I booked for a season of Beethoven string quartets Thursday lunch-hours at St Lukes (Old St). Managed to get to one, missed one, next one is this Thurs and is touch and go so far if I will be there. Tickets were only £4 each though so I figured it was worth the risk!

Jane

liana

Maxim did indeed cancel everything this Summer. I guess Carlo was maybe referring to the Brit awards in May, when he described him as short, chubby and pale. He was not well then and didn't perform since then until Amsterdam last month.

However he is recovered now (as long as he is not overdoing it in Chicago!) and back on schedule.

His tour dates are available on the following website:

http://www.maximvengerov.org/menu.php

in the "on tour" section

Jane

Why has he been so ill recently? I think he keeps biting off more than he can chew.

I might be able to get tickets from my teacher - otherwise I won't be going.

Anyone going to the Violin Maker's Day at the Guildhall on Sunday 26th of October? You can try/buy new instruments by contemporary makers.

Carlo.

I saw Vengerov on Saturday in Chicago. He played well. I do have to say he went a little too "free" on his interpretation. He forgot that Symphonie Espanole should adopt a more rhthymic playing to fit into the "Spanish" theme.

However, the part of the concert that's worth noting is Stravinsky's Firebird. My god!!! Chicago Symphony played it very very well! I happened to be attending the concert with a ballerina friend. She said ballet will never be the same from now on unless the Chicago Symphony accompanies her dance company...