• Announcements

• ghunt

Whole Site SSL   03/08/17

Whole site SSL is now turned on and forced for all pages on Maestronet. If you have any problems, please contact the admin team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elderthomas

How to repair crack in top (new violin)

3 posts in this topic

I am working on my 3rd violin, and after using the drying cabinet to dry the 1st coat of varnish, A small crack about 4 inches long appeared, starting near the neck. It appears to be directly over the bass bar. (I was thinking that I may have put too much clamping pressure on the bass bar when gluing it in) I am not sure I could close the crack even if I took the top off, and because the crack is so fine (about .2 mm wide), I am not sure I could get glue into it (unless I opened it more).

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions about how to deal with it.

You shouldn't have any problem getting it to glue if you don't have a lot of varnish in it. I'd take the top off and try to glue it. I bet it's along one side of the bar or the other. If it's *directly* over the bar, the problem is humidity, or the lack of it in the drying box.

Thanks for the suggestions Michael.

You are probably right about the humidity difference in the drying cabinet. If the crack is directly over the bass bar (which I believe it is), is there any use in removing the top? Is there a good technique for closing the crack if it is over the bar? I don't think there is too much varnish in the crack, since it opened after the varnishing. Will sufficiently thinned hide glue be drawn into such a narrow crack by capillary action? Sorry about all the questions, but I am in unfamiliar territory when it comes to repairs. Thanks again for the help.