Maestronet Forums

Violin stores in San Diego or Los Angeles

Kath

I highly reccommend if you are in the L.A. area that you visit Studio City Music. They are very close to Universal Studios. The Benning family has owned the store for almost 50 years and they are very personable.

Studio City Music Inc.

11336 Ventura Blvd.

(818) 762-1374

In addition to the stores mentioned above, you might also try the very well-known HANS WEISSHAAR in LA, MICHAEL &Y RENA WEISSHAAR in Costa Mesa. (I have taken these from the current edition of the "STRAD DIRECTORY 2000", which also contains the dealers mentioned by others above.) There are many more, but these mentioned seem to be "full-service" in every way. Northern CA., if you get there, seems to have more dealers running from San Jose almost to the Oregon border.

Regarding the 50-years of the Benning family at STUDIO CITY MUSIC, it may well be, but the cello I bought there 35 years ago still has the name Paul Toenniges on the bridge. I believe that was the "resident" family that Benning married into. I do remember a youngish man working in the shop there at the time (I was in my late 20s - he might have been younger) perhaps he was the first Benning? I loved visiting the shop, but since I lived 150 miles away (before the freeways made the trip reasonably safe - if you can believe that) I would mail my bows in for rehairing and order strings by mail too.

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Victor:

the cello I bought there 35 years ago still has the name Paul Toenniges on the bridge. I believe that was the "resident" family that Benning married into

Andy

Hans Benning is Paul Toenniges' son-in-law, and Eric Benning is Hans' son.

http://www.maestronet.com/studiocity/Overview.html

Thank you for all of you for good recommendations! I think visit at least Studio City Music.

Kath

quote:

Originally posted by james:

I've been to most of the shops mentioned, and I would give Studio City Music my highest recommendation... but that's only my opinion.