Maestronet Forums

Pieces for 3 violins?

Mu0n

My teacher told me the Vivaldi would be too hard for our little group. How hard in comparison is that Telemann? He suggested that I looked upon the baroque flute repertoire to find some pieces; I imagine that the Boismortier piece mentionned here is part of that?

Thanks guys!

There are lots of pieces tht are arranged for three violins even though they were not origiaally written that wasy. For example, my teacher's ensemble piece this year was Saint-Saens Swan. He had a version for three violins that sounds very good in an ensemble. It impresses parents and it isn't hard - paeticulary the third violin part.

There's a Geminiani (w/piano).

As mentioned previously, Shar Music has a good sampling (under Sheet Music, for "Category" search for Three Violins and then for Three Violins and Piano, for concerto reductions). Shar also has a "Comments/ASTA Rating" at the bottom of each listing, which is helpful in determining the degree of difficulty.

Good luck,

J.

When looking to see if I had the Hindemith pieces mentioned, I ran across "Easy Pieces Volume I" for Three Violins, published by Kalmus -- K 04756 Published by Warner Bros. I realized that I had never looked at it (I'm looking for pieces for 3 violins also, for my students). I played through the pieces on tape, and then played the other parts. With only two of the three parts present (mono tape) they sound pretty good. I can't wait to have the kids work on them. I am now curious as to what is in any other volumes Kalmus may have published. They're definitely easier than the Vivaldi. They won't be a huge technical challenge, but you can do some nice things musically with them. They're pieces by Alfred Böckmann, Carl Rosier, JCF Bach/Franz Eckell, and Wilhelm Volckmar (all household names -- NOT).