Maestronet Forums

Remember when you first started?...

songbird

"some weight training at our local gym"Bong You have hit the nail on the head. There is a complete lifestyle attached to playing the violin, Cut out the poisons (smoking, etc) especially if you are over 45 or so. Go to the gym in a professional manner: 1. sign up for a program 2. get an assigned trainer to do an evaluation and study of your current situation 3. be faithfully there three or more times a week and run through the program your trainer assigns to you. Diet = eat 'healthy' foods in a balanced planned fashion. Balance all of the rest of your life around the violin. Get 8 hours of good sleep every night at the same time every night. Read books like "The Complete Illustrated Guide To The Alexander Technique" for insight into your posture and how to live exerting proper pressures against gravity and other natural forces that act upon your body.Congratulations for taking up Violin at age 56. You are in for a lot of enjoyment.PS, You didn't mention the teacher that you go to for lessons every week. You do have a teacher don't you?

Hi Ken,

Thank you for all the wonderful advise! I do not smoke (never have), eat very well balanced meals, sleep 8 hours (or more) every night and right now am obsessed about the violin!! (I did take violin lessons at the age of 6yrs - 12yrs - until I got interested in boys and wouldn't be caught dead playing the violin!!!)

I have had several teachers since I started again (one moved away, the other was too far away - 1 hour). I am going to a new teacher in September (only 1/2 hour away) and am looking forward that.

I will certainly read the book you recommended. Hopefully the Library will have it or I will have to purchase one.

And I am definetly going to the gym this fall!!

Thanks again.

Obsessed

The Alexander Technique book is very revealing, when read cover to cover, to the importance of awareness of posture and how it affects our wellness in life. I found it extremely helpful in preventing future over-use injuries I had sustained while practicing. You don't want any of those. I had to stop playing altogether for 7 months while recovering. This motivated me to find out the whys and wherefores that lead to injury while playing.All The Best To You In Your Studies,Ken

• 2 months later...

Hello Obsessed, how's it going? I had a very busy summer (and fall so far) and didn't see your posting until tonight. But I am still playing the violin AND LOVING IT! I spent the summer on a plateau but got through it by playing a lot of different easy stuff. Fortunately, I seem to have learned how to avoid many aches and pains, and I exercise regularly. A little late, but welcome aboard!

Hi Songbird,

I am doing very well in my studies!! My shoulder doesn't ache as much any more - I joined Curves in September and have found that to be very helpful.

I started with a new violin teacher at the end of Sept., and although she is very eccentric/weird, I am improving. I was always told that I had very good intonation, but according to her - not good enough!!! That is a good thing though - she is very fussy!!! She insists that I record myself playing and listen - wow! that really helps.

I also play in a local string group of amateurs and have been upgraded to 1st violin (not because I am good - but because they need more 1st's!!!). Very good motivation to practice, practice, practice.

Also reading all the threads on this forum has helped immensly - there is so much information out there!!

Anyway, I am enjoying myself very much after all these years!!!

Obsessed

Hmm. Just found this post.

I'm just the opposite- I've dropped guys for practicing (I'm thirteen.) but I once dated a cellist that practiced five hours a day (I'm doing six so we can sympathize.) who didn't try the 'violin's not cool' crap. It was a good experiance. Pity it was only at camp...

Cheers

Lavender