Sign in to follow this  
liana

Bows in Prague

hello!

i was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find a dealer of fine instruments and bows in Prague. i'm specifically looking for a professional quality bow -- i'm happy to look at the works of modern bowmakers too! i'm going to be leaving on my trip on June 28 (wheeeeeee!) and thought i'd look around there in my ongoing hunt for a bow since i'm going to be in the neighbourhood anyway.

thanks a lot!

-liana

hmmmm i'm going to be there july 4, 5, and 6 -- my mom and i are doing a whirlwind tour of southern germany and central europe before i have to be at the music festival i'm attending starting july 8 in northern germany. if i hear about any good shops, i'll let you know for sure!

-liana

Be a little bit careful in Prague looking for bows. There seems to be a good maker there who has connections for export. I used to see these bows frequently in Toronto, but they bore stamps of other makers (Sartory, Lamy, etc.) and were being offered as the real thing. Good workmanship, nitric acid darkened stick (so they looked a little older than they were). He may or may not have been doing the stamping himself...

If you find one of these bows and purchase it as a modern work for a modest price, I think you would be doing well. As an antique, however....

Prague is a great place to go, but is there a particular reason why you are going to try to find a bow there? I would think there is a good likelihood of getting taken for a ride.

ahh thanks for the heads-up, jeff! i'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg in any case (my wallet's still hurting from the violin) but i thought i'd look and see what's there while i was in town... i'm sure you recognize the syndrome that i'm describing here.

-liana

i thought i'd ask about prague in particular as i'm going to be there, and i'm currently looking at bows... budding die-hard violin addict would be an accurate description here... and already being familiar with my bow resources within canada, i thought since i'm there i may as well have a look around. can't hurt anything. i'm very wary of buying anything that i can't take to people i trust first to have checked out anyway.

thanks to everyone for your warnings, though, i was slightly wary of buying anything before and i will particularly be on my toes now.

-liana

Hi, Liana,

You mentioned that you were going to a music festival in northern Germany in July... which on is it? I am newly living in Northern Germany and trying to find what's happening here musically.

Thanks!

Aria

It's the Schleswig-Holstein, I believe. They have an awesome line-up this summer: Eschenbach, Marinner, Saraste, Masur, Davies, Isserlis, Kremer, Vengerov, Kennedy....

*sigh*

-very jealous... but congrats.

there's a chamber music holiday group that organizes stays in Prague, maybe they'd know the local luthiers or could point you to the people who would?

http://www.chambermusicholidays.co.uk/

hey aria!

tc is correct, i'm going to be at the Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival's Orchesterakademie. from what i've heard from past participants in the festival, it's definitely worth popping by for some concerts -- i don't know where you live but we're basically all over northeastern Germany, with several dates in Salzau, Kiel, Lubeck, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, and a couple other places as well, i believe. if you'd like the details of tour dates, send me a PM... or you can check out the Festival's website:

http://www.shmf.de (festival)

http://www.shmf.de/oa (orchestra academy)

hope this helps!

-liana

hey tc,

thanks for the URL, looks like a neat way to plan a vacation anyway... now i'm going to have to get over there again sometime!

-liana

Liana, in your earlier post you mentioned southern Germany. If you are anywhere near Nurnberg, be sure to visit Bubenreuth, just north of Nurnberg. There are many good bowmaker shops there and they will be happy to sell you a good modern German bow. Just be aware of large shops. I heard tales that some are importing semi-finished Chinese bows and stamp them as their own. Go with the small shop - a better chance to get an original maker bow. I visited Bubenreuth 3 years ago during a business trip, and I came away with nice bow from Rudy Neudorfer. Check out www.bubenreuth.de to get a list of shops. Also, you mentioned Leipzig. If you go there, make a side trip to Markneukirchen, another famous center of string industry. Quite a few shops there as well where you can shop for a nice bow. I used to have their website bookmarked, too, but no longer have it.

HTH and have a blast of a trip!