Maestronet Forums

The "Where We Live" thread - reloaded!

administrator

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll jump in...

I am a recent high school graduate from Georgia. I've been playing the violin most of my life and I am going to the University of South Carolina School of Music in the fall (on a full music scholarship!). I've been a memeber of Maestronet for over a year now, and I've learned so much from all that is posted. I am trying to convince myself that I need to post more...nice to meet you all!

~violonetoile~

Hi Adam, I'm Claire (as you can see here <<<) and I play violin, viola and piano. I'm currently doing A-levels, and will be going on to Edinburgh uni to do music. Not sure what else to say, except that I should be practising and revising right now <at the same time, of course!>

This is peonymusic, in big LA, California, where I have returned to my violin after a hiatus of (gosh, 20+ years, foolish me) to an amateur orchestra where I have moved from somewhat confused second fiddler to Principal Second to (gulp) yes still often confused Concertmaster in two years. This of course does not imply great musicianship, only the willingness to work, and to follow the director.

And, did I mention, take enormous risks onstage? People talk about stage fright as if it were something that could go away. And I wish it could: I play the Corelli Sonata "La Follia" tomorrow night! But as concertmaster, leading a group of amateurs (which includes me, of course) the idea of playing on the "and" of the third beat in the Sibelius 7th Symphony, knowing that it is very likely that only one other first violinist may possibly join you in that run up to an important note that SOMEONE i.e., ME, got to hit -- WELL, THAT TAKES EVERYTHING I HAVE! And that is why it is so hard, and why I love it so much.

Amateur. Confused. Hopeful. Terrified. Confident, occasionally--in the practice room. A VIOLINIST. And that's who I am. Rejoice with me that I found my path again after such a long time. Sorry -- I can't be unemotional about this.

Hi Adam. You asked, "What does Taenias mean anyway?"

Well, taenias are tapeworms of pork or beef.

http://orbita.starmedia.com/~forobioq/a_p_taenias.html

My name is Steve and I am a lawyer in Tallahassee, Florida. I originated in Wisconsin and lived in California for 14 years but in Florida for 27 years. We like to play old time as Irish and Irish as old time.

-dogma

ahoy!

thought i'd finally bring myself in on this thread... my name's liana (for real, whee), i'm currently in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, at my parents' place. i usually post from Toronto, which is where i go to school. i'm going into the third year of my performance bachelor's on violin at the university of toronto... i play mostly violin but alas i do have a viola too. unfortunately, i play the viola like a violin, so although i get by on viola it's definitely not my calling.

-liana

Oh, thanks, dogma. Oh YUCK! Ewwww. How lovely to find I've picked a handle that is the scientific name for tapeworm! I'll stick with my own definition, thanks. Actually, I suspect that the scientific name for tapeworm came from that same Greek headband.

Don't worry about Dogmageek dissecting your screen name, folks. He's harmless, really.

hey yeah i know kerry! we played in a piano quintet together this year. she's an awesome player, just won the eckhardt-grammatte this year, plus a spot on faculty at brandon university... crazy! cool that you know her, did you go to UVic then as well?

-liana

technique.doc, notjimmysmith, falstaff,

I think sooner or later Google will pick up everything about us all. Some of us need privacy, even as others need publicity. Remember, even paranoid people have enemies. It can be serious business too.

truestaff,

I thought the way you disguised your name (or pseudonym?) to make it search-engine-resistant was interesting. It will work at least until search engines get smart enough.

To all,

You know everything you need to know about us. How to contact us, what we think, a lot about our personalities, and quite a few facts about us. If the need should ever arise, you would probably find that we're not really hermits.

Sincerely,

Not La Folia

Yeah, it takes guts at first. I also had a long hiatus, but without your subsequent meteoric rise. (Who ever heard of a meteor rising, anyway? ) Just play a lot for friends, and that will help. Then you won't care any more. Inner peace is the first step to mastery, and mastery is the first step to inner peace. (Ha-ha). Also, practice playing the important rests (including those long intervals of counting).

I once played Principal Second in a performance of a familiar piece in Orchestra Hall in Chicago. My stand partner was self-taught, and never counted. The section was following me, because they were a little frightened. I lost count where we had never lost count in a rehearsal. I looked at my partner. No help. I looked over at the first stand of the first violins, and they were looking at each other and shaking their heads. The violins were all a little weak and disorganized for a moment. Fortunately, that particular mistake never happened again.

My screen name is descriptive and the profile gives the essential information. I’ve met a few Maestronetters, my picture has been seen here and there are sound clips . Google might turn up a little more information but nothing interesting. I just play at home for amusement.

The variety of people that post here is entertaining but I understand why some posters prefer to be careful about identity. Some people in major orchestras post occasionally and a number of posters are conservatory students or teachers. It’s fun to consider that maybe it’s Hilary Hahn hiding behind some funny screen name.

Hi!

My real name is Gary. I live in Philly 'burbs.

I studied violin from age of 6 through college. Then, life events caused a career change. I've been an IT professional since. Few years back, I started taking lessons again after a 16 year hiatus. I play mostly at home and for friends. Recently, I've teamed up with an amateur piano player and we are working (slowly! ) on putting up various pieces together to make it enough for a programme. We plan to do this as a charity type gig at places of worship, retirement homes, etc., i.e. places where no matter how/what we play, we won't be readily booted out.