Maestronet Forums

No Time to Practice

Yankee Fiddler

Very funny, you two!

Seriously I was wondering if this would somehow be a shortcut towards getting better, faster. I'm thinking vaguely of a small little yellow book I had years ago that had wicked little finger twisting typing lessons. The lessons were wicked, but well thought out, and helped to increase speed a lot quicker than a lot of the other books I used.

Yankee Fiddler

There are a secret trick that makes you improve so drastically that you be a concert artist in just 4 weeks.

For just 500 dollars in advance with no refund garanty I will tell you.

Please call 0-555-Be.A.VIRTUOSO.NOW.7772

The rate is just 17 dollars a minute.

I'll be waiting by the phone for Your call!

The book is geared for the "advanced student or professional musician." It has technical exercises/warm-ups that were designed for the pro to stay in shape technically within the limited time between rehearsals, gigs, etc. For someone like me, it takes 30 minutes to go through a page or 2 of the easier exercises . Even my teacher, who is a friend of Agopian, says that it is hard to get through the whole book in 30 minutes.

i have a friend who is a student of Agopian's... he's an excellent teacher, and an excellent player (and a former student of my former teacher! huzzah). his book is apparently technically absolutely *brutal*, written such that HE can get through it in 30 mins, but my friend who's been working on it for 3 years now gets through maybe a quarter of it in that time.

all this said and done, though, he definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to building violin technique. many of the technical exercises in the book are the same as what my ex-teacher teaches all his students -- and although they're not easy techniques by any stretch of the imagination, they're put together with the goal in mind of producing virtuoso playing.

so i guess in short: tough book, but if you're at the level to handle it, excellent.

-liana

...but you know, I think the best way to get better, faster, is to play with other people.

Caveat to that--play with other people who are better than you are. If you are surrounded with players of less ability, you will find yourself playing "down" to their level. If nothing else, you will start to question your own ability.