Maestronet Forums

Video lessons with Stephen Redrobe

SteveLaBonne

Credentials...String Asylum...Assistant/Administrative Assistant...Provocative...Attacks...Kabalites...Deleted Posts..BlahblahblahBLAH

Ugh...If these are the heaviest things you choose to deal with each day, I don't know whether to pity or envy you all.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the maestronet admin, I sincerely hope that you lock this thread and allow everyone to move on.

People have had the chance to express their views, and there is really nothing further to be gained by continuing this discussion.

I feel that this entire thread is extremely detrimental to many people,including maestronet, and it's paying sponsers.

Quite frankly there would be more to be gained from discussing the effects of prosthetic knee and hip joints on the sound projection of a cello, than to continue with this topic.

xan

It's interesting how several people who lamented the passing of the soapbox, who in the past were furious with locking of threads or deleting of threads, are calling for an end to this discussion. Calling for the admin to lock/delete it.

More hypocrisy.

You might just want to let the participants of this forum decide when this topic has been exhausted.

--Guy

I am a participant of this forum.

And I did not say delete, merely lock. I respect the fact that people have a right to their own opinions, and indeed welcome that fact.

I just think that enough is enough.

I'd hate anybody to overstep the mark on personal attacks and get a law suit slapped on them.

xan

Since that doesn't follow at all from what I said, evidently you fancy yourself a mindreader. I have stated more than once that I am not at all interested in "us vs. them" games between the two boards (and I continue to participate in both, though the level of discussion here on Maestronet has deteriorated drastically thanks to "contributions" like yours.) And even if I would not be going against Redrobe's wishes by posting links to subsequent lessons, I would refrain from doing so because of the waste of bandwidth they seem to provoke from people who apparently have nothing better to do than engage in petty personal attacks.

I wasn't mindreading. I was reading what you wrote.

I thought that if you were drawing attention to a useful resource that is on another venue that it was, at least to some degree, promoting that venue.

If that wasn't your intention then: My mistake. I apologize for the characterization.

--Guy

Redrobe's image has entered my studio lineup of "Lares and Penates". A while back I sent a long private email to administration requesting that they consider re-admitting him, citing his apparent personal problems as reasons. At that time I was wishing to know more facts about Mr. Friedman's illness, as if I believed there could be such a thing as "facts". Now I doubt that it makes one iota of difference. What do you guys think?

(Apologies to those who are tired of this thread. I think the accusation of not having a life was intended for me...)

Roman,

If you don't think credentials matter, if you think it's all the same if one is an admistrative asst or a teaching asst, then you clearly live in a different world from me.

Granted, I teach at a major university, and accuracy of resume is quite significant, and fudging on it can get you fired.

This would be a non-issue if SR didn't sign every post touting his mentor and his destiny to pass on a legacy... I'm sure there are others here who have or have had long associations with great figures in the arts -- violin or otherwise -- and they aren't basing their authority or forum persona on those relationships. SR made the details of his resume important by constantly drawing attention to them.

To be clear -- I'm not the one that asked SR for credentials. I absolutely believe he has a working relationship with Friedman. He took offense, it seems, when Alistair asked for more details.

-Guy

In reply to:

He took offense, it seems, when Alistair asked for more details.

There, you are very much mistaken. I have seen both emails, and no offence was taken by Steve and Alistair's email was in no way offensive.

If you are referring to an email sent to Steve that was totally obscene etc, I assure you it was not these current emails we are discussing.

As for the rest of my opinions, I agree with Yojimbo and Roman.

Thanks for clarifying, Ondina. I was, as I said, presuming. I knew of an email from Alistair. I saw a response to an email from SR. If there was a second email that was obscene, then I was wrong to suggest that he found a request for credentials as obscene.

And I apologize, to the board and to SR, for the characterization.

--Guy

This wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I just am blown away at the amount of time spent dicussing adnauseum someone most of you will likely never meet, never speak to again, and never take lessons from (given the majority opinion of Redrobe).

roman

P.S. But don't let me stop you all if all this brightens your day in some way.

How will the effect of this impact the students of SR or anyone else that happens to be related (professionally)? I think it is a tragedy, for them and it is something that will limit their lives.

I think SR is in control of his own destiny, and I wonder if it has occurred to him that his own online personality might have a negative effect on his career. An earlier poster who claimed to know Steven said the online personality is not in line with the real person. I wonder why someone in his profession as a teacher would want to create an online personality that has created such a great deal of controversy, and even has people questioning his credentials? I do not claim to be an expert in this field, I'm not even close, and I have not had any quarrel with SR, but a lot of what was said and done on the old Soapbox has left me wondering who he really is. I think it is a tragedy if there will be a negative impact on SRs students, but SR is responsible for what he says and does.

Since mine was the first of the previous posts to be deleted (despite the subsequent contribution of observations far more trenchant yet inscrutably acceptable to the arbiters of civil exchange), I have thought long and hard upon the singular nature of my sin. Amidst the contemplation of my turpitude and the deliberation of a proper penance, a distant voice called out: it was my wise but beleaguered dog Argo, intent in harmonious sorrowful song as my daughter caterwauled her way through another Kreutzer etude. And thus I saw the light. This articulate pedigreed pedagogue was in fact imparting a most stimulating lesson in the art of intonation with the utmost acumen of an ear trained to respond to stratospheric overtones in all manner of disarray and call them patiently, persistently back to proper order. When interpolated, Argo seemed willing, despite his mysterious but poignant retirement from the profession of corrective ululation some years ago (he is currently devoted to the philanthropic pursuit of canine incontinence), to share the fundamental principles of his acoustical expertise in a series of free filmed lessons for the wonderful folks of Maestronet. Thus my proposal. I further offer, as a gesture of guileless generosity, to dispatch these same lessons (despite Argo's latrant objections) hither to the prodigal plutonian sanctuary of disenchanted souls so needful of our enlightment and sympathy. May I so amend, amen.

In reply to:

Since mine was the first of the previous posts to be deleted (despite the subsequent contribution of observations far more trenchant yet inscrutably acceptable to the arbiters of civil exchange), I have thought long and hard upon the singular nature of my sin. Amidst the contemplation of my turpitude and the deliberation of a proper penance, a distant voice called out: it was my wise but beleaguered dog Argo, intent in harmonious sorrowful song as my daughter caterwauled her way through another Kreutzer etude. And thus I saw the light. This articulate pedigreed pedagogue was in fact imparting a most stimulating lesson in the art of intonation with the utmost acumen of an ear trained to respond to stratospheric overtones in all manner of disarray and call them patiently, persistently back to proper order. When interpolated, Argo seemed willing, despite his mysterious but poignant retirement from the profession of corrective ululation some years ago (he is currently devoted to the philanthropic pursuit of canine incontinence), to share the fundamental principles of his acoustical expertise in a series of free filmed lessons for the wonderful folks of Maestronet. Thus my proposal. I further offer, as a gesture of guileless generosity, to dispatch these same lessons (despite Argo's latrant objections) hither to the prodigal plutonian sanctuary of disenchanted souls so needful of our enlightment and sympathy. May I so amend, amen.

Dude, you really need to learn about spacing, that was a lot of words in one small space

After dealing with a bunch of hate mail from people here, I guess that my choice of creating a different forum was not such a bad idea. Basically, the old soapbox has reared it's ugly head in this thread. I was one of the top poster's here, and I got a bunch of angry emails from people who only posted a few times.

I guess that was the point of the soapbox?

My Girlfriend and I have enjoyed the lessons. She has played for a few years, started as an adult. I enjoy them because Steve cracks me up, and I appreciate what he is trying to do.

Opinions may vary, but Steve has done a terrific job with the lessons, and it is just starting. I don't know Steve's resume, I dont care. He is giving lessons, and people are enjoying it. They seem to be very popular, so I am very pleased that he is doing this.

I do find this thread quite ironic, but such is life.

I appreciate Redrobe's lessons. I found them extremely clear and helpful. Those of you who don't want to check them out are, unless you are already set in your own ways, missing food for thought. Your choice.

I like Steve. He has a certain incorrigible quality that I enjoy. I like Kabal's forum for a lot of reasons, probably partially because he lets me pontificate.

I also like Maestronet, and continue to find many threads valuable, as well as the other resources available here. This is not one of the threads that seem to have much value, except as a place to release bile. At this point, it needs to be disposed of in a toxic waste dump. :sigh:

I would like to borrow bronto's dog for a bit, though. My cats remain unspecific about my intonation difficulties.

In reply to:

You might want to invest in a few writing lessons to go along with that dictionary.

I have a suggestion for the experts that are so conveniently assembled here. Perhaps you could demonstrate for us exactly what you are referring to when you speak of technique and style.

I'm sure you know that Maestronetnet supports attached audio files.

If you have already posted examples, please direct me to your contributions.