Public School

RedSnapper

I went to private schools my whole life except for 11th grade. That year I made sure I went to a public school known for it's arts so I wouldn't have problems.

Usually, I would just let the teacher know at the beginning of the year that I would be in competitions at certain times so if I was to keep up with the class to give me those assignments ahead of time.

My son is a cellist who just finished his first year at Eastman. He attended public school for all 4 years of high school. During his sophmore year he found it increasingly difficult to practice as much as he wanted, attend the rehearsals he needed to, and complete all his homework. After much soul searching, he dropped math his junior and senior year. (I must add here that he was an advanced math student and would have started Calculus junior year, but saw no need for it as a musician.) This allowed him to leave school 40 minutes early during the second semester of junior year. It cut down his homework considerably and gave him more practicing time. During his senior year, he didn't go to school at all until 11:30 first semester so that he could prepare for his auditions. Second semester he went in at the normal time but had an hour free in the morning where he would go to a practice room and practice.

We started discussing all of these options with his guidance counselor during his sophmore year. We were able to come up with an academic plan that met the graduation requirements and would meet the academic requirements for the music schools he was interested in applying to. When he missed school for music things, I would call him in and his absence would be excused he was responsible for getting the makeup work and turning it in in a timely manner. Since we live in an urban district with lots of students doing lots of different things, he only needed the signature of his counselor to get approval for his program.

I work in a smaller district where this kind of programming would be more difficult. I think your first step is to meet with your guidance counselor to let them know you are having difficulty doing school and studying violin. Do your research. Within the structure of school day, come up with a plan that you think might work that allows you complete your academic requirements for graduation, but gives you some extra time. You may need to get approval from the school board to do something different, so make sure your plan is workable and well thought out. I know kids who take a day off every week to travel to a lesson out of town. It isn't easy but it can be done. A lot will depend on your school system and how well they deal with students wanting to do non-traditional things. Good luck!

I went to public schools for all of my education(formal). I was a terrible student in high school,and barely passed most of my classes. If you are really serious about music, you need the practice time more than anything else. I met an enormous amount of resistance to these priorities but, I would do exactly the same thing again, given the chance.(although typing email would probably be less challanging)

I had the fortune to go, my last 4 years in HS, to a school specially designed for students who were considering music, arts, ballet, etc, as a profession.

We covered all the basics, math, algebra, etc. but the understanding was that we were going to be artists. The curriculum for this school was coordinated with the Conservatory I went to as I finished my pre college studies.

Pag