Maestronet Forums

Pieces post 1939

roman

Hi Roman!

One piece just popped into my head when I read your question - it's actually a section of the Philip Glass opera "Einstein on the Beach" which is scored for solo violin. It is ~10 minutes long, quite fast, hypnotic, and very impressive if done well.

Do they have to be solos or can you have an accompanist? Hindemith composed some good violin sonatas, both solo and accompanied, and one or more may date from after 1939. Also, I think some of Prokofiev's work dates from after 1939. Check and see.

Ladislav Kupkovic's "Souvenir." (1968-71)

Somewhat derivative (does not exactly sound particularly "contemporary"), but hugely fun and extremely virtuostic! I have known the piece for long time (own a very early Kremer recording of this work. He has recently re-recorded it again), but I finally found a copy of the music last summer. It is published by the Universal Edition and the catalogue number is ue 15872. When I played it for a few people, they thought it was a blast! Delightful stuff.

T.

I've also been thinking about Schoenbergs Phantasie...

It's the one my teacher is recommending...but something by Joan Towers would also be interesting.

I would love to play the Prokoffief but since I'm going to be using his concerto #2 I would like to vary my range of composers.

thanks for all the suggestions!

How about some of the movie composers. Wasn't Korngold post 1939? There were a whole lot of them that were serious composers who were making their living through Hollywood. I love Hugo Friedhoffer's scores and I bet he wrote for violin. It would be a fun thing to add to a program note.