Maestronet Forums

Most dreaded requests...

concertA

Sure, I've been there and done that..."Irish Washerwoman", "Dueling Banjoes", "Freebird" - even a really hideous version of "Pachelbel's Canon" on one occasion. My bandmates and I always managed to put on a good face at the moment and enjoy a snide chuckle later.

So these days I play at sessions for myself and fellow afficianados...and find myself wondering if I've lost track of the point of what prompted me to play music in the first place, which was the pleasure and thrill of playing for non-musicians - who sometimes drive us crazy with the obvious request.

Perhaps my retreat to the session world is just another version of Mr. Redrobe's retreat to academia...is anyone else concerned about music forms dying because no one but fellow musicians is paying attention?

In reply to:

I can equal that, maybe not top it. Some of the crazy suff I have played on gigs:

I get a kick out of you ( as the recessional)

Grandma got run over by a reindeer, at a funeral.

Misty Mountain Hop, Stairway to Heaven by Zeppelin

for some reason this made me think of a wedding gig i did last fall... they asked us to play music from Forrest Gump for the processional and recessional. what's even better is they hired a 25 piece orchestra specifically for this purpose... we had a very difficult time not laughing during the ceremony.

what's even better was that the bride was a musician. (a singer though, so that might explain things)

and just to add my two cents about Pachelbel's Canon, if i ruled the world, no quartet would ever have to play that, Air on the G string, or Eine Kleine Nachtmusik ever again.

-liana

hehe yeah, tell me about it... i loved that piece *so* much as a kid, i remember asking my teacher at about the age of 7 if i could play it, not understanding that it was not a solo piece; however she obliged and got me the first violin part.

since then, however, i've seen it around a few too many times to enjoy it on the same level as i used to.

-liana

More Than Words

by: Extreme

Saying I love you

Is not the words I want to hear from you

It's not that I want you

Not to say, but if you only knew

How easy it would be to show me how you feel

More than words is all you have to do to make it real

Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me

Cos I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two

More than words to show you feel

That your love for me is real

What would you say if I took those words away

Then you couldn't make things new

Just by saying I love you

More than words

Now I've tried to talk to you and make you understand

All you have to do is close your eyes

And just reach out your hands and touch me

Hold me close don't ever let me go

More than words is all I ever needed you to show

Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me

Cos I'd already know

What would you do if my heart was torn in two

More than words to show you feel

That your love for me is real

What would you say if I took those words away

Then you couldn't make things new

Just by saying I love you

More than words

My only performances in public are with my guitars, so....

I remember a gig a few years back when I was doing a solo rendition of 'love struck baby' on a borrowed twelvestring. I got into it quite well, and the moment I wanted to start the solo part a guy started yelling for 'hey joe!' and slamming slammed his fist on the table.... .. . I lost the swing, and completely F***** up . He did get me a beer afterwards and said sorry .

Other requests:

stairway, cocaine, smells like teen something , and ode to joy............ If I ever take my violin out of my room, I wander what will happen.

I did get some other non-music related requests that are out of place on this forum.

Yes. Death by Xerxes. With a string quartet some recent gems have included "Green Onions" as a recessional, "Call to the Post" for the best man to walk out to (he was a professional gambler - divorce followed)

Played a wedding where the mother of the bride (wearing a gown far to risque for Elizabeth Taylor) entered to "Misty" complete with trumpet and strings. Same wedding, the bridesmaids all chewed gum, even when one of them did the first reading - "and the voice of the turtle dove (smack) is heard in the land" - at least they didn't blow bubbles. We have one upcoming with "Por Una Cabeza" (Tango from Scent of a Woman) as the postude - since we have a killer arrangement I think that one will be fun.

Most inadequate force for the request at hand:

Playing in a cello/ violin duo - "Could you play the Pines of Rome?"

Double hell: Performing the first mvt. of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik as a violin/cello duo with drum machine. At least I didn't need to worry about phrasing.

I had to perform the Bach Air about 60 times in a theater play about a couple from Bosnia who were music teachers. Probably because of the moving nature of the play and the way it set the mood for the production I never tired of it - although I wouldn't choose it for a wedding.