Maestronet Forums

Leonidas Kavakos

Carlo_jsb

I just heard him do the Beethoven with the St. Louis Symphony yesterday afternoon. Very nice performance. Nice technique and a nice interpretation. He moves quite a bit when he plays. In fact, it looked to me as if he actually knocked his scroll against the stand of the principal 2nd violins! I was pretty high up so I can't be sure (anyone else at this show?). Overall, he's well worth going to see.

Leonidas Kavakos is amazing!!!!!!!! He won the sibelius violin competition in 1985 and in 1988 he won the paganini competition in Genoa he is also the only violin player that he had record the original version of the sibelius concerto(the lahti symphony orchestra has the copyrights for the next 20 years of the original version and they have choose Kavakos to play, this one tells everything about him). Go see him!!!!!!!!!!!! he plays the instrument like the devil he is amazing virtouoso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 9 months later...

Bringing this old thread back up -- we saw him do the Beethoven last night with the Houston Symphony. I thought it was just outstanding. I had really never heard of him, but wanted to see someone play the Beethoven, and I think this guy's command of the piece is pretty close to jaw-dropping. The double-stops are just amazing.

Anyway, probably too late to get tickets for this afternoon's matinee, but he's still in town for a Monday night performance. Go if you can.

(The program notes say he's playing the 1692 "Falmouth" Strad - lovely sound, too.)

He's playing Bartok at the Barbican on 6 March (2004). I am tempted but London on a weekend is difficult for me. I believe he uses different bows for different movements of the Bartok....interesting.

And I heard also he used the "Falmouth" Strad, that's the one who has its photo on the cover of my Sevcik studies.

Jane

I'm going to see him play in a recital in Paris in February, which I'm greatly looking forward to. He's playing Beethoven's Spring and Kreutzer sonatas, and I think something by Schubert. He's probably the most technically secure violinist I've ever seen/heard. His interpretations are sometimes interesting (Ysaye Sonatas) but occaisionally I think there's not enough tonal or dynamic contrast. I've only seen him once so far, but I'll post more after I hear him in Paris.

Is his violin really the one on the front of the Sevcik books? I've always wondered what that violin was!

Carlo.

It's the Schubert Fanatasy, just looked it up on the web. I saw Nikolaj Znaider play the Sibelius earlier on this week, which was fantastic. I'm surprised he's not more well known, and he hasn't really recorded much (which is a shame).

You certainly should see Kavakos, it's an experience.

Carlo.