Maestronet Forums

Violin parts in Rock music

xcheerleader

there's a particularly pretty violin solo in billy joel's "lullaby (goodnight my angel)". i think there are a couple others but i could be wrong...i've listened to far too much billy joel the past year to remember.

i love the good riddance violin part...its so great.

aside from even violin i just love string parts in pop/rock music...ie: the beatles, alanis, avril (there is a trend of string backup in music nowadays...i instantly like a song more when there is good string backup)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......From the halls of Montezuma...to the shores of Tripoli....we will fight our country's battles....(I can see him at his computer in full military garb) No....I'm kidding.....this is not very nice of me. I don't even know the guy. I've seen a few of his posts and they have been extreme. Back to to Rock Music...there has to be more than this. How about early Rock music? Anyone know?

Bittersweet Symphony was the tune I was trying to recall, lol

Although The Verve were one hit wonders in the states, they were a huge band in the UK, and have a few other songs with strings involved, like The Drugs Don't Work, Lucky Man, History, and others. You'd be wise to check out their Urban Hymns album, if you like Bittersweet Symphony.

Bjork's Joga has some nice strings on.

i guess this is going a little more hardcore metal stuff than a lot of what's been suggested so far, but metallica did an entire live CD with the san francisco symphony. it's really neat.

and to add to the list of metal stuff with strings, i'm going to be playing some junk with iron maiden in june... should be an adventure.

collective soul uses a *lot* of strings, as does the tea party (i don't know how well known they are outside of canada but hey).

-liana

In reply to:

The violist (or one of them) from the Moody Blues orchestra was a guest soloist with our symphony one year. Can't remember his name, though.

Awesome. Did it go well?

Yeah, it was OK. The only thing I really remember is that he had to use his music. You know, you usually think of a soloist as playing from memory and all that, and he needed the music, for whatever reason.

Hi...

I'm a guitar-player of some 35 years - mostly in a bluesy, string-bending vein, though I like all styles, and I recently (18 months ago) took up the fiddle, Irish-style, and I absolutely love it - I just can't resist picking the thing up for a quick saw, and think all those years of guitar-playing have speeded my progress. Anyway.... to answer this great new thread, and date myself, I was a big fan of Curved Air in the early seventies, who used violin as a lead instrument (Daryl Way was the player). I vaguely remember The Flock from that era, featuring Jerry Goodman, and you've gotta hear "Willy the Pimp" from Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" album which is absolutely fabulous (player: Jean-Luc Ponty, I believe). These to me, are real "rock" violin. More examples, chaps...?

Paul C.

Well, History is the primary track I can think of for The Verve that uses strings. They split up after Urban Hymns, and their earlier stuff was rockier.

Most of the songs I'm going to mention with strings are British. You could always use a file sharer like SoulSeek if you wanted to try them.

Shiny Happy People - REM (Cue Kabal!!)

Stop Your Crying - Spiritualized

The Universal - Blur

Weather Storm (instrumental) - Craig Armstrong

More Than Us - Travis

Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack

Hey Lisa (instrumental) - David Holmes

Finished Symphony (instrumental, try for the Soundtrack Edit) - Hybrid

She Came Home For Christmas - Mew

Have you heard a Finnish group called Apocalyptica? They're a cello quartet and have done Metallica covers. Although I'm not exactly a fan of heavy metal music, I particularly loved their rendition of Nothing Else Matters, Sanitarium and Fade To Black. If I can say so, without offending Metallica fans, of course, I think their renditions sounds better than the original - less screamming and more melodic

Here some older stuff to check out for anyone who is interested:

- HAVE I TOLD YOU LATELY, by VAN MORRISON

- SIGNAL TO NOISE, by PETER GABRIEL

- ELEANOR RIGBY, by THE BEATLES

- SHE'S LEAVING HOME, by THE BEATLES

- SHE'S A RAINBOW, by THE ROLLING STONES

- GOD ONLY KNOWS, by THE BEACH BOYS

- STAND BY ME, by BEN E. KING

- RIVER DEEP, MOUNTAIN HIGH, by IKE & TINA TURNER (produced by PHIL SPECTOR)

- LEVON, by ELTON JOHN

- SPACE ODDITY, by DAVID BOWIE

- LIFE ON MARS, by DAVID BOWIE

- STREET HASSLE, by LOU REED

- I WISH IT WOULD RAIN, by THE TEMPTATIONS

- I WISH I NEVER SAW THE SUNSHINE, by THE RONETTES

-A DAY IN THE LIFE, by the Beatles 1967

-THE BALLAD OF DANNY BAYLEY, Elton John

GUINEVERE, Rick Wakeman, 1975

These I have never groups/artists I have never heard of

White Bird, by It's a Beautiful Day

Hot Tuna

Papa John Creech (Did someone mention this earlier)

Long John Baldry

Black Oak Arkansas

Oh, and shoot me for forgetting, they're only one of my favorite newer bands.. Sigur Ròs. They're from Iceland, and not only do they have a quartet play with them, but the lead singer uses a bow on the guitar most of the time. I wouldn't really call them rock, but they're definitely worth a listen.

" If I can say so, without offending Metallica fans, of course, I think their renditions sounds better than the original - less screamming and more melodic"

no offense taken! But it is quite good to see that the music/songs stand strong. I don't like the S&M album. Bad orchestral parts and weak performance of the band.

Liston to Rainbow: 'Stargazer' or 'Gates of Babylon' from Richie Blackmore's Rainbow! (Ronnie Dio is amazing!)

I'm a big Corrs fan , so most of their songs have a violin part. Of particular note:

Someday

Give Me A Reason

When The Stars Go Blue

Only When I Sleep

I Never Loved You Anyway

No Good For Me

There's also

7 seconds - Neneh Cherry

My Immortal - Evanescence

Hands That Built America (Soundtrack Mix) - U2

I also recommend Apocalyptica (Finnish cello quartet) who did a few Metallica covers, Bond (covered Led Zeppelin's Kismet), and an Australian quartet called FourPlay (covered Enter Sandman, My Baby Just Cares For Me - vocals with violin accompaniment, My Sweetest Perfection, just to name a few).

I also am a fan...I like the first UK (not the live one ) the best...Danger Money, I think it was called...also like the Strawbs, Nektar, PFM (Italian band), Gentle Giant, older Genesis (w/ Gabriel) older Roxy Music (the first 3 with Eno)and even later Roxy w/o Eno, Enos 4 rock albums and I am starting to date myself a bit...I don't listen to much of this any more, but it reminds me to dig thorugh my cd's and put something else in the player besides Hilary Hahn...

In reply to:

I don't like the S&M album. Bad orchestral parts and weak performance of the band.

Get the DVD, the CDs do not do the power of Metallica justice (they are, in my opinion the greatest group of musicians to ever assemble).

I like S&M, but it's different. Metallica is better than they were during the S&M period. I didn't like the full symphony on Nothing Else Matters, it was over done. Actually, through out the whole thing, the symphony is just too loud.

If you want to hear Metallica at their best, get a copy of the newly released DVD version of "Live Sh*t: Binge and Purge," they absolutely kick ass on the concert from the Justice days.

As a Metallica fan til death, I'm eagerly awaiting St. Anger. I can't wait to hear what the new Metallica sounds like, 22 years after they started.

Ben

Yet another song that's not really rock - not "popular" either, since not many people seem to have heard of it --- there was a band called Penguin Cafe Orchestra that played wierdly tuneful things with bizarre instrumentation. The violin features prominently in "Numbers 1 - 4", a favorite of mine. It's scored for a couple electric guitars playing quiet rhythmic figures slipping between 6/8 and 2/2 and all points in between, some kind of drum, a pitch pipe, and violin and cello which slide from rhythm to melody. Chaos layered over an underlying stability. The overall effect is very beautiful and peaceful.

Simon Jeffes, the main creative force of the band, did the string arrangement for the Sex Pistols' version of "My Way", probably the best recording of the song you'll ever hear...