Sign in to follow this  
thom

Wanda Landowska

I am doing some family genealogy research and have just been told by a relative that we are related to Wanda Landowska, but none of my relatives knows the exact nature of the relationship. It occured to me that I might be able to figure it out if I had the names of her parents and grandparents, but all of the traditional sources (biographical dictionaries, etc.) have yielded nothing. Any ideas out there on how I could proceed? Thanks.

You can still write to some places for birth / death records, though there might be a problem with the whole language difference thing. The best way to actually go about researching that is to continue back from where you are, rather than trying to move forward from an ancestor. Unless you know a general "path" in the tree to begin with, working forward can be considerably more difficult.

Courts, churches, and other record houses are all worth checking into for birth, death, and marriage records. Also, sometimes newspapers can be worth while. It really depends a lot of the general time-frame you're looking at, too.

Have you tried ancestry.com or some other genealogy sites?

The only thing I can suggest outside of death records is befriending somebody polish to do a polish website search and see if anything you don't know turns up.

She didn't move to the US until 1941 and won't show up in available census for 10 years so that option is out.

Research at the Mormon's Family history library might find something.

you can try www.familyhistory.org All information there has to be verified but it can be a good starting place. Don't forget spelling variations -- I have one family line that I have found spelt 40 different ways ( usually spelling errors from transcribing hand written records)and sometimes just an evolution of a name.

For instance I found this record. No way of knowing the verity of the information without checking the actual file submission ( you can get them on microfilm)

05 JUL 1879 Warszawa, Warszawskiego, Poland

Christening:

Death: 16 AUG 1959

Burial:

Parents:

Father: MARIAN LANDOWSKI Family

Mother: EWA LAUTENBERG

Keep searching --eventually something will jump out at you.

~Pam

Your find appears to be the right person. The dates appear correct. Thanks. Unfortunately, I cannot get into the family history website at the moment.

I got into the website. It looks as if you have found the right people. Thanks so much. Unfortunately, as with most family history/genealogy research, the answer raises additional questions, since neither parent has a name I recognize as a family name. My suspicion now is that one of her grandmothers was a sibling of my great-great grandfather's or his wife's (whose name I unfortunately do not know). So, the search continues. Thanks again.

Thom: You might try this. There is a talented pianist named Alan Gampel who also claims to be related to this woman. He has a web page (I can't remember what it is but you can look it up). You might contact him, since he seems to know about her.