Maestronet Forums

Adult beginners-what are you working on?

concertA

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Saint-Saens "The Swan".

My teacher is Russian and all the methods books are Russian. We went through Garlitsky and Radionov (sp?) and are using a Polish book that has excerpts from just about everybody: the usual suspects. I don't remember who compiled the Polish book.

All of the books are entirely in Cyrillic.

BTW, I am a really, really, adult beginner.

Mozart: Adelaide Concerto (probably written by Casadesus)

Handel: Sonata in G minor

Kreutzer: near the beginning of the book

Among other things, I'm struggling to play at the proper tempos. Of course, I practice things slowly like my teacher wants, but I would like to be able to play faster so that I can keep up with a community orchestra.

I don't think I qualify as a beginner anymore, but I did take up the violin/viola for the first time a number of years after I had finished college. Currently I am just finishing my work on the Brahms double, and I am continuing to work on the Bartok solo sonata and the Bartok Contrasts.

Keep me posted on your progress. Mozart: the composer you love to hate......if you are working on playing his music that is!

Actually I'm enjoying this piece the more I work on it. The fifth postion work on what is my second page was a bit of a buggar, but it's coming along. I just wish I had the skill to make it "sound like Mozart." When I listen to a recording of Mozart, there is a very distinct sound to it that I can't seem to make come out of my violin. My teacher shows me how, but it's tough to replicate.

Guess I'll just keep pounding away at it!

Sorry-forgot to post about myself. I am on the last mvmnt of the last piece in Suzuki Bk. 6, Doflein Bk 5 The Higher Positions-mired down in 4th position studies, 3 octave harmonic minor scales-which I hate, this yellow book called 26 Composers Teach the Violinist working on an excerpt from a Haydn String Qt. and, finally, still working on Czardas. Also my teacher is getting all the kids ready for the big Spring concert, so we are doing a fiddle thing-O.B. Special, Millionaire's Hoedown and other assorted fiddle pieces.

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I've been playing for about 14 months (started at 41) and am working on things like The Rose of San Antonio, Redwing, Westphalia Waltz, Ashokan Farewell, Star of the County Down, and some Celtic Aires and Jigs. My instructors feeling is that these provide a variety that each teach some aspect of bowing, finger placement, etc., and keep the work interesting since I'm not playing the same song for all practice sessions. I fully intend to get into classical, but I also like Western Swing, Celtic, Blues, and several types. So why not learn a variety.

I started trying to learn around Thanksgiving. At the urging of you Maestronetters, and common sense, I started with a teacher in mid-January. So I'm a rank beginner compared to the rest of you.

Am now starting Book 2 of Essential Elements and Suzuki, and, as side pieces, I'm working on Ashokan Farewell (the duet version that goes into 3rd position), the movie themes from Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Ark, among others. I also like fiddle tunes, which, fortunately, my teacher also enjoys. I've been struggling to produce a decent and consistent rendition of Gary Owen. Some days I nail it, other days... not. There seem to be few pieces that don't pose some challenge. Having fun!

Just played Bach's G minor sonata. This was a goal for me for a long time Played it for my teacher in an empty church and the acustics were unreal. My teacher was shocked (I played beyond my level that day) and so was I. The sounds filled the large chapel with harmonics bouncing off of the walls like a kalidiscope! Hope my first recital will go so well.

Hello........ahhh....sorry I wouldn't consider Suzuki Bk 6 a beginner. I am on Suzuki book 1...just got done with #9 perpetual motion....thought I would never get done with that, and then she tells me I have to do the variation. She did assign me this week up to #13 Minuet #1 by Bach. Now I would call that a BEGINNER. I am 33 (does this mean I'm an adult) I am a mom of two kids from suburbs of Atlanta.

Suzuki Book 4...Bach Double...I can play it all almost up to tempo and have it memorized , too. I really am anxious to start Book 5 with the transcription of the Cello suite...I really loke that piece...fiddling stuff I have a Slow Air ready to go...Coilsfield House, and have a M,S,R ready to play in a Scottish Fiddle competition in Charlotte on April 12...I am entering as a novice

Hey sunnybear!.....I'm still having the problem with the stiff wrist, except on that first Etude....man the old wrist is flying around everywhere on that one. Go figure. I might have to drive up there and see that fiddling competiton sounds cool. I'm of Scottish descent...I think..lol. Thanks for the encouraging words. It really does help.

Way to go! I really should look up to you. I'm an adult re-beginner - picked up the violin about a year ago. I just went teacher-less, or, self-taught. So I'm basically working on everything I have at hand yet nothing in particular right now. I may play some scales and etudes one day, some Suzuki the next, the part of Mozart violin concerto #5 and Bach concertos that I remember from childhood the next next (I should really get myself the sheet music of them), and then go back to bowing and scales the next next next day. I guess I need a teacher as soon as possible, before I forget everything.

I'm working on an Laudate Dominum (Mozart, from KV339, according to the notes). An arrangment for flute, violin, cello & organ for Good Friday.

A couple of Swedish waltzes that I'm still not satisfied with.

After the kids go to bed, I put on the mute and try to play their stuff - Bach double from Suzuki 4, La Folia from Suzuki 6, & Schubert Serenade.

When I have time, pretty much never these days, I pull out one of these - Kayser, Kreutzer, Mazas Etudes or duets - to noodle around on. I've got lots of other stuff I planned to get to but just never have - waiting for retirement, I suppose.