Maestronet Forums

Sarasate vs. Waxman

concertA

Yes, they're both based on Bizet's Carmen, a wildly popular opera. It has sex, great memorable tunes, sex, violence, sex, intrigue, and sex. It caused quite a stir when it was first performed, right from the first scene (the girls outside the factory, smoking cigarettes. At the time, it was unseemly for women to smoke in public, and there they were, onstage puffing away and being otherwise vulgar). Did I mention that Carmen has a lot of sexual content?

The Waxman was written for a film. Franz Waxman did a lot of classic film scores, including Robin Hood.

Sarasate did several "Fantasies" on operas, as did Dancla. I have the music to Sarasate's Faust Fantasy, which must be quite rare. I bought a lot of music from some old lady, her late husband studied with Auer. I have crazy stuff like the David Concerto, Viotti # 9, Molique #5, etc.

The Sarasate isnt that hard until the 5th part, which is quite difficult. The Waxman is REALLY hard. I have only played the Sarasate.

Interesting note: I wanted to do the Waxman about 8 years ago. I called to get the music, and I spoke with his son. To buy the music at that time was like $80, I kid you not. I guess the son owns the rights. Needless to say, I couldnt pay 80 bucks for a showpiece, even expensive Concertos like Bartok are no more than $32.

If I am not mistaken, didnt Gil Shaham do his own version of Carmen Fantasy? I could write one too, but mine would have so many drums and synths that nobody would like it except mois.

Stephen, he told me a wacky story about recording a version of the Carmen on Viola, with him as soloist with the Berlin Phil. Is he mental, or am I missing something? I assume he is mental, but since you talked to this guy too, I think you know what I am getting at

Ah....let me think.....no, let me play (Sarasate) .....then Waxman..um...ahh ...no, let's not go there at all. Sarasate is most possible and most enjoyable.....Waxman is totally crazy and cited by his emminience (my old teacher) as beyond the capability of all regular mortal Violinists. Therefore since I'm only 4% on route to even demi-god status it's best left for the concert platform and those that fear nothing (unlike me who fears almost everything)

"Waxman is totally crazy and cited by his emminience (my old teacher) as beyond the capability of all regular mortal Violinists."

Alina Pogostkin

Yura Lee will play it on June 16, 2003 in Vienna - I am going to hear that even if I am half dead..

Alexandre Markov

I don't know if a recording of that piece exists, (any hint anybody??) but it has been performed several times.