Maestronet Forums

Do luthiers make good lovers?

xania

First, I'm not going to sell myself, because I'm already sold...

Second, so that my response isn't misinterpretted as being flirtatious, let me say that I have a very happy relationship with my mate - I can't imagine a woman on the planet that would be a better fit...

Concerning your quiestion, I think many of those who work on violins would be good lovers - not only due to the love of "beauty of form", but also due to the extreme patience they show in the creation of a violin and an obvious desire to be appreciated in what they do.

Tim

Isn't instrument set-up and adjustment the art of helping the violin/viola/cello express it's best and highest self? A lover should love the spirit too, no?.... High standards, not taking success for granted, pursuing moments of bliss, finding a lifetime of enjoyment in the process...Many wonderful parallels.

In reply to:

First, I'm not going to sell myself, because I'm already sold...

Second, so that my response isn't misinterpretted as being flirtatious, let me say that I have a very happy relationship with my mate - I can't imagine a woman on the planet that would be a better fit...

Don't worry, tim, I think that you are safe from me by virtue of distance if nothing else!!

xan

Hi Xania: violin makers can differ a lot, according to the school they belong. The most important schools are:

Cremonese;

Venetian;

Torino;

Naples;

Rome;

Florence;

rest of Italy;

France;

Austria;

German;

England;

Hungary.

Most certainly there is a strong difference between the schools, both in violin as well as in love making!

SOME ADVICE FOR FEMALE SOLOISTS SEEKING SML (SINGLE MALE LUTHIERS)

1. If you find one on E-bay, be extra cautious, as he is likely to misrepresent himself. The label on his collar may say (Pendleton), but he probably bought the shirt at Wal-Mart

2.Young luthiers may be cuter, but older. more experienced ones will generally give better customer satisfaction.

3. Be sure to ask for a long-term contract. Some luthiers are only interested in your tailpiece, and for others, any sound box will do. Someday, you may lose your figure, and before you know it, he'll be going after some old flame.

The complex relationships between beauty and desire have always been the life blood of art. No wonder luthiers and musicians are obsessed. TO my mind Man Ray's photo "Le violin d'Ingres" sums up a lot of what is going on:

le_violin_dingres.gif

Regards,

Tim (not tim2 - I'm the Oz one)

PS Sorry to have got serious for a moment

• 8 months later...