Maestronet Forums

Leonid Kogan

One_Tree_Hill

It's interesting to note that Henry Roth compared Kogan's technique (and tone?) to that of Rabin's, saying that his best recordings were made during the earlier part of his career (also like Rabin).

Speaking very highly of Kogan, Roth mentions an incident where Kogan was backstage after a concert demonstrating violin technique to the orchestra violinists that left them all shaking their heads in disbelief.

I know how you feel. If I had my way I'd buy just DVD's too, but unfortunately I don't think 'Interpretations' comes in DVD format yet, which makes me wonder how long we're going to have to wait before it finally IS made into a DVD.

There might be some software you can buy that will allow you to transfer stuff from VHS to DVD.

I get stuff in my mailbox all the time advertising this kind of thing.

Although I personally think Kogan was an excellent player, I found him to be rather stoic in a few performances. One particular performance, off the top of my head, is his clip in the PBS special..."Art of the Violin", or whatever the title is. Regardless, he is definitely a master...I'm just wondering if anybody shares this viewpoint with me. Thanks! -KM

I don't think the Brahms performance from the Art of Violin reflects his best playing. According to Henry Roth Kogan's best days were behind him when he was barely in his mid- 40s - around the time when the video clip was shot.

I have 2 Kogan recordings of the Paganini Cantabile - the latter, a video clip made when he was 43, was clearly tonally less consistent than a live recording made at age 30.

Yeah, I love his Tchaikovsky especially. I have a DVD of him playing the Beethoven concerto, along with a few other things, which is incredible to watch. My only objection is that he looked SO uncomfortable when he played, as if he were trying to distance himself from his violin physically. Fortunately, that's not the kind of thing which shows up on recordings.

Carlo.

That Brahms in the EMI set is one of the most satisfying Brahms recordings I know- with the strength and integrity of granite, intensely and continuously expressive without any externally supplied "expressive devices" or tempo manipulations. So if there's an earlier one that's even better, I'd love to know about it! Does anyone know?

I picked up a couple of Kogan CD's in my last orders from Berkshire Record Outlet ( http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/ ) including that EMI cd:

Brahms, Violin Concerto. Lalo, Symphonie Espagnole. Tchaikovsky, Serenade Melancolique {w.Philharmonia/ Kondrashin}; Violin Concerto. Beethoven, Violin Concerto {w.Paris Conservatory Orch./ Silvestri} (All w.Leonid Kogan, violin) EMI/ANGEL

it's still available there...oh... and it was $9.98 (2 cd set)

....for those who don't know, Berkshire can be BIG trouble for the serious CD addict.