Sign in to follow this  
paganiniboy

Best Beethoven Overture? (your opinion)

Just wondering what ya'lls favorite B. Overture is. Mine is the Corolian, followed closely by the Egmont. Leonore is really not tasteful in my opinion, however does have one neat little strings obligato/ornament I like towards the end.

Gotta be the Egmont! Not that I'm qualified to say it's a finer piece from a scholastic point of view... It's just that it is so much fun for the low strings!!! (I played viola on it) Just RRRHOCKS!!!!

(Does anyone else have a hard time giving an opinion (as a listener) on a piece that you've played? I do, obviously...)

IMHO it has to be Egmont. Although I have performed I think all of them, it was as a conductor where I realized what a great masterpiece this is. There is such a conflict in the score, cross rhythms (2 against 3 particularly). It is all inspired on political and religious sentiments. Beethoven's Egmont Overture depicts the Dutch nobleman Egmont and his struggle against the Spanish repression of his countrymen. Because he could not support either side without sacrificing his moral convictions, he was captured as a traitor and beheaded.

With all the recent events I now have a much better understanding as to why Beethoven would get so irate when people complained about his music being too heavy and so on. His answer was, You Don't Understand, I am writing for the future. I conducted it 2 years ago and somehow I always drew energy from it.

My 2 cents,

Pag

I have played ALL of them St. Stephens is fun.

I have actually played all three Leonore overtures, 3 is of course the best, but one is fun.

OTH and Kabal. I love that work. In fact after posting my reply last night I put my headphones on and listened to it. My blood just boils with energy. Beethoven, master of masters. Today I gave an exam and most of it had to do with the Eroica Symphony initially dedicated to Napoleon. We talked a great deal about politics and religion with regards to this symphony. Long but hey! people back then didn't have much else to do

Pag

We're playing Eroica and Pastorale in April. Both are wonderful pieces.

This will be our last set in the Beethoven Cycle. We played #9 last spring, 1&4 for the first concert in the fall, 2&7 for the second, and we're playing 3&6 in the spring. We didn't play 5 or 8 because they were played recently.