Maestronet Forums

Paganini's son - Achille

tononi6

I have seen an studio photo of Achille, when he was mid-aged, in one of Paganini's biographies but I do not remember which one. The photo was a full lenght portrait of Achille in his Sunday best. Just based on that one photo, I don't think he looked too much like his father, though there was some resemblance in the face. I can not find any information as to when he died. He did have two daughters or grand daughters (can't remeber which) who took up music and went around playing some of the pieces, such as the third violin concerto, which the Paganini family owned but did not see the light of day until fairly recently.

Achille had a longer life than his father. In 1893 he was still ailve and if I'm not wrong, he died soon after that (1896??). He had a son (Attila) and probably two granddaughters, who died in 1935.

As a 7-year old boy, he was sweet (I have a black and white picture) and he looked a lot like the young Nicolo. Paganini used to say that Achille was a beautiful boy. I don't know anything about autographs, but I can see there is no need...

Mihneea

Unfortunately I don't know of any pictures of the granddaughters, but I keep looking. And, also unfortunately , I've never been to Genoa - but I hope that will happen next year ... I consider you very lucky for viewing the Canon!! How was it? I think I'd faint in front of it, knowing WHO played it! I find it sad the fact that the violin exists, but its master doesn't.

Anyway, I read a lot about Paganini, so if you have other questions, please ask. I'm glad to be able to answer some of them!

Mihneea

I've probably told this story here, somewhere. In about 1996 or so I photographed the violin at the Paganini Competition. While I was working in the council room, at about 6PM, the winner of the competition was warming up out in the attached hall/auditorium on her Strad. When I was finished, they took the violin out to her, and I could tell when she started playing---the volume went from about #6 to #10, as did the presence of the instrument. While the others were talking, I went out and listened to her, and asked how it behaved. She said it was initially difficult because it was so different, but showed incredible potential, once she would get the hang of it. I think it's one of the most impressive violins I've ever heard.

Mihneea, I am sure that one day you will see The Canon for yourself. As someone said 'beware of what you want, for you shall surely get it.' And I can tell that with your enthusiasm nothing will stand in your way. It was like that with me when I first fell in love with the violin and everything associated with it - 35 years ago now!! And I am still a slave to it and expect I always will be. I have two standard biographies of Paganini on my shelf which you can borrow if you live in the UK.... I daresay you know all there is to know anyway.

Michael, you weren't tempted to ape the ending of 'The Red Violin' during your visit to Genoa?

I wonder if Heifetz' violin will still be 'on show' in S.F in 200 years from now? I thought 'public bequests' had a time-limit on them; in England I don't think you can tie up property in perpetuity - I think trustees have a 50-year period to oversee assets after which the Court can ultimately determine where assets belong. You see, Paganini really bequeathed that violin to me; I know he did!! I just know it...

Yes, I think Achille was probably over-indulged in a material sense. You do get the impression that Paganini felt strongly about Achille if not for Achille's mother. Toward the end of his life Paganini was concerned that Achille should inherit his estate: Paganini even considered changing his residence to facilitate this. Those were the days when church and aristocracy played an important part in such matters.