Maestronet Forums

Telemarketer calling

racerex

He said he works for the symphony association and was selling tickets to the not-so-local symphony shows. He even offered to lower the tickets' cost by $20.00 apiece. Is this common practice? He would have taken my payment over the phone. He did seem to know a lot about the orchestra.

I've got a standard reply to telesales calls (I'm getting at least five of them per day):

(Sensitive persons please stop reading here

"Hey, I wonder, from where you got the chuzpe to invade my privacy to sell me the f**king product of a f**king company from a f**king corner somwhere in the world, which I don't need and in which I am absolutely not interested, and even if I'd need it I'd get it better, cheaper and with better service in the shop around the corner. Dare to call me again, and I will instruct my lawyer to take approprate actions."

(roughly translated from my native language).

Seems to be the only way to get rid of them, it helps, to my knowledge I never get a second call from such a callcenter.

actually, that doesn't work with most telemarketers. keep in mind, the telemarketers themselves aren't the ones to get angry with...get angry with their company.

i worked as a telemarketer for one summer when i was in high school. terrible job, by the way. the only way to ensure you will stop getting calls is to specifically say, "take me off your list". otherwise, you can say whatever you want....including many of the expletives you mentioned. you'll still get called back. i was forced to call people 30 minutes after they told me to f*** myself. it was my job, i had no choice. telemarketers are required by law, however, to stop calling if you say "take me off your list".

I've all but eliminated the 15-30 calls per day from this plague on humanity. Our phone company has a service called "Privacy Director." It works in conjunction with Caller ID. ALL phone calls to our number with the their phone number blocked to the Caller ID(nearly all telemarketing companies) are sent through a computer first and requires them to identify themselves by stating who they are and why they are calling. That in and of itself usually ends the call, but if they persist, the caller ID reads "Privacy Director." When you see that, you take the call (if you want) and listen to who it is. The computer then gives you the option to 1)take the call 2)refuse sales calls or 3) ignore the call. I just LOVE pressing #2 when I hear it's a sales pitch.

And now peace reigns supreme and we are rarely bothered by annoying phone calls.

I don't like getting calls from telemarketers either. Most of mine seem to be from Citibank. I was surprised to get this call though. I asked him if ticket sales are down and he said they are nationwide. I asked him if he got my name from previous ticket sales, then he kind of changed the subject.

My rule of thumb when they ask for a credit card number (etc). :

"Sorry but I don't not give out credit card numbers (or any similar info -- SocSec number, account numbers, etc) when I didn't initiate the call. PERIOD!"

If I have an interest I'll ask them for their company name, address, toll-free number, and their website.

If they are "legit" they will graciously supply the info.

If not, I tell them to "take me off their list permanently " if they haven't already hung up.

Identity/credit fraud is rampant so be careful.

PS: Of course there are ways to "play" with telemarketers but too many to note. Plus, it gets boring after a while and I've got better things to do -- like practicing.