Sign in to follow this  
cellonut

Piano Competitions

The Minnesota Music Teachers' Association held the finals of their piano competition this weekend. My granddaughter was a contestant at the five year level, mandated because the levels are strictly age dependent, rather than experience oriented. I have written about this child here before, a talented beginner, who was able to learn the music, but was lacking in the required musicianship. I think in another year she will have caught up and will be better able to compete at the six year level. My question to this list is:- Is it usual for competitions to be run this way? She would have run rings around competition at her own experience level, or is my question just wishful thinking?

She is undefeated in her sense of purpose and took this weekend as one of "learning the ropes".

Some competitions are based solely on age, some on experience and some have categories for either one. I competed in one that was based only on age. I was twelve years old and had been playing for 4 years while most of my competitors had been playing for 6 and 7 years. My teacher was amazed when I won both divisions I participated in (so was I). I hope she keeps up the good work, sounds like a talented young lady.

To do what you did shows great talent, but more than that, the application required to develop that same gift. My granddaughter is becoming a little resistant to 'technical stuff'as she finds it tedious. "The Pianists" from The Carnival of Animals, is something I've been thinking of getting, in duet form, so we could play together. What do you think?