Maestronet Forums

My next concerto?

Violonetoile16

Well, now that I'm nearing the end of these dreaded college auditions, it's time for me start a new concerto (finally!).

I've been working on the Mendelssohn for almost a year because of college. I haven't done many concertos, over the past few years I've done Bruch, Mozart 3 and Kabalevsky. I've also done Zigeunerweisen, Introduction and Tarantelle, Bach E major and d minor (w/o the chaccone) partitas and the 3rd and 4th movements of Bach g minor sonata. Any suggestions for what I should do next? I only have a few more months with my teacher, then summer, and then off to college (hopefully). I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

~Violonetoile~

HEy, im going off to college in the fall too. that is, if i get in. anyways, what i've always wanted to play is the Barber Concerto. my orch played it recently and its a beautiful piece (esp. the 2nd mvt), even though the last mvt is fast and tricky. its a great piece! depends on what ur taste is, of course.

~anna~

Saint Saens or Wieniawski 2 might interest you. Of course, you should probably ask your teacher, since it's impossible for us to recommend anything without knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I know the feeling though, I'm starting new pieces now that I'm done with all of my auditions too. It's such a relief to be done playing the same concerto over and over again.

i would recommend lalo, wieniawski, or saint-saens. they are all good recommendations. perhaps dvorak, as well. i would definitely say no to beethoven.

mozart 5...um, maybe...so long as you use the barenreiter edition, and not the horrific international edition.

Have you looked at the Connus yet? Or Vieuxtemps? (sorry, I don't think that I spelled either of those correctly)

I think I'm in around the same stage as you....I haven't really played many concertos, just Medelsohn, Bruch, Saint-Saens, Weinowski, and Mozart. I'm not sure what concerto I'm supposed to go to next, but presently I'm taking somewhat of a break, learning stuff like Carmen before I go onto stuff like Beethoven.

--mazas

I would love to play Beethoven someday, but I believe that it is one of the most difficult concertos in the repetoire, and I don't think I'm ready to play that yet. I would like to play Wienawski or Vieuxtemps....Mozart 5 is another possibility. My school orchestra teacher thinks that is what I should do. Thanks for the suggestions!

~Violonetoile~